What's new

Netgear Nighthawk R7000 Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which firmware is best for me?

• Stock Firmware (fully updated to newest release)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Kong DD-WRT

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Shibby Tomato

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

iamwardicus

New Around Here
Just ordered a Netgear R7000 router since I've had the upgrade itch for awhile. I'm coming from an Asus N16 - it's been having overheating issues, and the laptop cooling pad it's on is ancient and on it's way out. I figure I may as well get something nice and new as a replacement.

In the opinion of most users what would be the best performing firmware given the following devices being used:

Always at home
2x Windows based PC (Wired)
1x Windows based laptop (wireless)
2x Samsung Galaxy S3 phones
1x Amazon Kindle
1x Playstation 3 (wired at the moment, would like to go wireless)

When guests are around I can have up to the following additional devices:
4 laptops
6 phones
3 tablets

My internet is from the local cable company, and currenty I'm under a 30Mbps connection. I may be changing to Uverse in the next month or two due to cost reasons, but I can expect a similar speed.

I'm open to suggestions and I'm just wondering if the Stock firmware, Kong DD-WRT, or Shibby Tomato would be best overall. Also I'm wondering which version is the most stable of each choice.

Thank you for any information!

Last edited:
I would start with the latest Netgear stock hardware and see what you think. Then if there's things that you need to do not supported by it, you can switch.

Currently, support for dd-wrt firmware for ARM is in limbo. What's out there is out there, but the main developer for it has had to cease development. That's not a big problem for me, since it does what I need it to do.

Tomato is Beta-level firmware. Functional, but has some problems at this point. I'm hoping that they pull it together, since I really like tomato firmware.

Personally, I'm currently using one of the latest Netgear debug releases, and it is working great for me. I don't see anything in your list of clients, etc. that can't be handled by Netgear stock firmware.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!