What's new

Netgear Orbi AC3000 questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flyboynm

Regular Contributor
What is the maximum # of satellites that an AC3000 can handle?

What is the farthest you have been able to place a satellite from either the main unit or another satellite with a straight line of sight between them (if daisy chain is supported)?

Are the satellites that come with the AC3000 able to work with another one - i.e. - I get 2 AC3000 systems. Can I use the main router from one set and then both satellites from the 2 systems with it? It would leave me with only a main router left over but the deal I found for the RBK50 system makes it so it is cheaper to buy 2 sets than just one with an additional satellite.

On the number of satellites and separation, this is pretty much experimental. There are a lot of variables, like your house construction, number of walls that need to be crossed. Even furniture, like tall bookcases can make this vary. So I would just give it a try...if you log into a satellite's admin web GUI via it's IP address, you'll see what it thinks about whether it's in touch with it's closest neighbors. If you have a problem (I had my satellite cycling between magenta and blue for a while), just move the satellite in question closer to the router until it stays solid blue *smile*, that worked for me. There is also the ability to daisy chain satellites that's been added recently, you can turn that on in the router unit admin web GUI. And also, wired ethernet backhaul has been added, if that's an option for you.

And yes, a satellite is a satellite, they're not tied to a particular router unit. So you won't have any problems just using the satellites from the second RBK50 set that you got with the router unit from the first set.

Last edited:
Thank you very much RogerSC. I am just curious what type of range people have gotten between router and a satellite. I plan on doing the experimentation but wanted to hear of other people's experiences.

What is the most satellites you have seen connected to the Orbi router and still work?

It will be for a Bed and Breakfast in Mexico. Main house is about 6k sq ft. They have a "casita" about 70 to 80 feet back from the house that they would LOVE to have on the same network as the main house one. :)

What is the maximum # of satellites that an AC3000 can handle?

What is the farthest you have been able to place a satellite from either the main unit or another satellite with a straight line of sight between them (if daisy chain is supported)?

Are the satellites that come with the AC3000 able to work with another one - i.e. - I get 2 AC3000 systems. Can I use the main router from one set and then both satellites from the 2 systems with it? It would leave me with only a main router left over but the deal I found for the RBK50 system makes it so it is cheaper to buy 2 sets than just one with an additional satellite.

I've been using the Orbi with 3 satellites. Two of the satellites are connected to the router inside our house. I added the third satellite to cover my detached garage and guest room above the garage once the firmware supported daisy-chain between satellites. This let me add two NEST thermostats to the garage and guest room. The satellite in the garage is connected to one of the house satellites through 2 exterior and 1 interior wall and is about 75 feet away as the crow flys.

I really doubted it would work, and the 5GHz backhaul connection does bounce between good and poor, but the connection hasn't failed (NESTs have never indicated offline) and delivers 100Mbps to an area of my property that's been impossible to get coverage to before.

I use the Orbis in AP mode only. I use an ASUS-88U with the wifi off for my "edge router". I wouldn't trust Orbi as a router. I think its underpowered and the controls are minimal.

Reactions: jk1
I've been using the Orbi with 3 satellites.

I use the Orbis in AP mode only. I use an ASUS-88U with the wifi off for my "edge router". I wouldn't trust Orbi as a router. I think its underpowered and the controls are minimal.
I just got my Orbis today with 2 sats to cover my sprawling ranch house. Haven’t unboxed yet. I intend to use the Orbi router... or I did until I saw your post. Have you tried the Orbi as a router or just assumed the Asus would perform better? If the latter why? TIA.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!