What's new

Netgear Orbi discussion thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes i get about 25Mbps on 2.4 gig so it may be that

you can check what band you are connected to in your devices wifi adapter status

btw make sure you have re enabled beamforming and mu-mimo

goto

advanced / advanced setup/wireless setting and scroll down to the bottom

also i suggest you set the 2.4 gig to a set ch rather than auto , select ether ch 1 , 6 or 11 , i generally set my 5 gig to ch 44

see if any of that helps

pete

Well I got my orbi up and running today. Took about 1.5 hours to manually configure it with basically the same settings as I had on my 87R. I do miss all the firewall settings, most of the time was getting the mac's and IP's in for assigned address. The parental controls and scheduling is very weak on this router. I have wifi camera's that can connect wirelessly but are blocked to the internet and with software it doesn't have this option other than to block a Wi-Fi connection.

I let it smoke in for a week and may just make this system a AP and go back to the 87R as the router with wifi turned off just to get some of the advanced features back. But I am getting coverage in the room where I couldn't get it before...

I let it smoke in for a week and may just make this system a AP and go back to the 87R as the router with wifi turned off just to get some of the advanced features back. But I am getting coverage in the room where

sounds like your best course of action , best of both worlds then , its how im running it here but with the 88u instead as the router

Firmware is the latest as mentioned (1.4.0.16)

Originally the Sat was located below the kitchen in the basement. But for the past week it has been located here:

R = Router
S = Sattelite

FmKvRr3.png

The walls are a mix of single stone brick walls and plaster.

The limitation of hitting only 20mbps, is that some sort of limitation from 2.4Ghz? I suspect that the devices are automatically going for that frequency and not 5Ghz.

Have you had good results with wireless before at the green blob with other routers at point R? If you haven't done well there with other routers, the Orbi may not be better at the green blob the way that this is set up. Not sure about stone brick walls, don't see them around here, that doesn't sound good though...they might be thick, have rebar or something, and act like concrete walls do. Also plaster can be rugged for 5GHz. signals...you can have metal in a plaster wall, as opposed to sheetrock which is usually just wood and sheetrock. Some places just aren't constructed in a way that's conducive to wireless. A lot of European houses are built to last longer than the stick built houses around here, and are made of much more solid (read: less permeable to wireless signals) materials. And your diagram shows double doors between the kitchen and living room, so it isn't clear to me what those doors are made of, as well. Are the doors open or shut most of the time?

There isn't any limit on 2.4GHz. related to 20Mbps...there is a 54Mbps limit if you've turned off WMM (look at the QoS setup screens). You know, you can look at the "Attached Devices" screen, and see what clients are connected to your router and which are connected to the satellite. As well as whether clients are connected on 5GHz. or 2.4GHz. They've added information there since the previous firmware. I find that the Orbi connects all my clients to 5GHz. except for one that only has the 2.4GHz. band.

The settings are pretty simple on the Orbi, other than turning off WMM, I can't think offhand what you might be doing that would limit you so much on 2.4GHz. Unless you're getting interference from other devices, like a microwave oven or baby monitor or an old cordless phone or wireless headphones that's operating on 2.4GHz. Lots of devices operate on 2.4GHz...so you might think about that.

I'm really curious what your results have been previously with wireless?

My next door neighbor just picked up an orbi set...

I'll have to put on some angry eyes as it's basically taking up the entire 2.4GHz band (20/40 mode), and most of the useful 5GHz band with all the radios...

Grrr...

I predicted this. :)

Not sure what happened, but looks like he returned the Orbi and went back to his older AC1900 class router..

Lol... maybe he got a 'suggestion' from the universe around him to do so. :)

Have you had good results with wireless before at the green blob with other routers at point R? If you haven't done well there with other routers, the Orbi may not be better at the green blob the way that this is set up. Not sure about stone brick walls, don't see them around here, that doesn't sound good though...they might be thick, have rebar or something, and act like concrete walls do. Also plaster can be rugged for 5GHz. signals...you can have metal in a plaster wall, as opposed to sheetrock which is usually just wood and sheetrock. Some places just aren't constructed in a way that's conducive to wireless. A lot of European houses are built to last longer than the stick built houses around here, and are made of much more solid (read: less permeable to wireless signals) materials. And your diagram shows double doors between the kitchen and living room, so it isn't clear to me what those doors are made of, as well. Are the doors open or shut most of the time?

There isn't any limit on 2.4GHz. related to 20Mbps...there is a 54Mbps limit if you've turned off WMM (look at the QoS setup screens). You know, you can look at the "Attached Devices" screen, and see what clients are connected to your router and which are connected to the satellite. As well as whether clients are connected on 5GHz. or 2.4GHz. They've added information there since the previous firmware. I find that the Orbi connects all my clients to 5GHz. except for one that only has the 2.4GHz. band.

The settings are pretty simple on the Orbi, other than turning off WMM, I can't think offhand what you might be doing that would limit you so much on 2.4GHz. Unless you're getting interference from other devices, like a microwave oven or baby monitor or an old cordless phone or wireless headphones that's operating on 2.4GHz. Lots of devices operate on 2.4GHz...so you might think about that.

I'm really curious what your results have been previously with wireless?

Previous to the Orbi system, I had a Nighthawk X8 router in the same location and had far better speeds in all rooms, and much better WiFi overall. Speaking specifically regarding the "green" area, with the Nighthawk I was at 50-60mbps in Speedtest and close to -48db in signal strength.

Looking at the "Attached Devices" screen I can not see whether they are using 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz, it just shows me their IP and Mac address, and whether or not they are wired/wireless.

The double doors between the kitchen and living room are wood and glass, doors are open more or less all the time during the day and evenings:

afrCiCt.png

(Orbi router is located at the white dresser in the image)

(Should I enable WMM?, it's currently off)

But beyond that, if I move the iPad physically next to the router, the speed is still the same:
SXa0B3TFdWTQgo94Ih6XPMz2RRLQ3KsObSFylaVxoBqAxF1VO8sOBe-uMMu_J7O5RYu7gyQrok62XrWE-AN-A3z7rasJjalRmLm7P4m6b620LFNqO_NHdMa5vpl-6p_VvW8eO2yYMZbzDaaRm7FchCxNvH_OmVb5j5MuUyG1U12znBuJlysX4iljlG5_vNGIxjg9MuTjI5747KqRtnoTPJyAmVSfxsbXVp16R3XFufxKMibapntPk_XceRDUxViZ7VwIOZf3l9n2IZ3XfelLdDBIWK_V78_jR9cbkxHLfUCWQGwz66lcCNukXnTNaePSAQx7bktcllJ3t0O9QbKIaj58UQVIVWMlCywtVIvR410p3AmAlfj7ZU1YarMyAwfN77MzpOBbGoC9SmD4j417vyjOApbz70Zwf4QJ3z77IVrmySWEAmmJWvTbFbRVuCpuX_nMP2MnN_k2HYLOT2WnU2tXFb8ySwJhpr8jHnEqaOi2Y_Gcf-8Mj65L_g0_judQ92JGB5P-D1Mf_XAXyYtl2xcobizn6JeJtAgOofgixt-b3DyJ3TUWmDoHcM_ob9otPiNcxEGppUvWSrdoRIgI1IAhEM94elwk0DyVED7hqX_Sc5vqpA=w1258-h943-no

Despite the routers own speedtest says I should be going far beyond that:
0EwhrpHQAECkMH5iF92pqU0hMRc7VVS53d9cLpfY6Vv2_b-mzbStow2ce0cPJdTHMRD28zKKISEdsHR_DCKjkSBpEj4HLp0rALKhArfAdOC88i-z8Xvfsk5KNEfLQSuenZkLMYshRenn62CIx4yp1H8U6G0vIERKjyULGS9jYihKgIEHOl2CJc78OVLznR4REqsN-puCZbSaJ-H3cGmE8T0vcQUoNv_eAx4cdgH5YWpUFym7nXZDMoLXwuzCvptrqidQuRB8reQ2IsuK0jytvmA1i0ZCY5cIFdWvDrO05KsYuu0y-z36suTeecjkphrdg81cPhbLFkQtE8j5JyfLjTsZd5pLD3yT4WcFnB1pISHoJ2vghJBpq-2Aq-9f6rvXoYhQMhaN0hjtCdgvMX918Jw4tZppBSFKpCzwqO1Rd0XCBbEmsPDcGfNSQbLE3CQKkC7QhFyCmnHVVZ7ZKDEA_3aDwuP2q0ntbpjakZa06l1-fB3BmkJBpd99Gb1LAiopsSCVon24AgM0hGf808ZMldxR401BOSLhkXmxSq4ClY9Mfa3aBKBf54mdosBkcbNOefX0jC3t27_0lqx7NAtDO29GjYk0KEw5CkyIeGO4puKgg36PkQ=w401-h451-no

So something must be wrong?

Last edited:

now there is my first question , what version is the ipad

second can you test it with something else that is not apple but has 5 gig like an android phone or the likes

the distance involved is nothing so im almost certain you stuck on 5 gig , im no apple man but you should be able to access the ipad wireless section and it should say what band it is connected to

wmm is enabled here with no issue

pete

second can you test it with something else that is not apple but has 5 gig like an android phone or the likes

the distance involved is nothing so im almost certain you stuck on 5 gig , im no apple man but you should be able to access the ipad wireless section and it should say what band it is connected to

pete

iPad is an Air 2, and from what I see there is no indication on it what band I am on. It doesn't say whether it is 5Ghz, AC or N.

I've tested it on a Nexus 5X and a Chromebook 2. Both with the same result:

Download: 22mbps
Upload: 18mbps

The Nexus 5X says it is connected to 5Ghz network, but in something resembling "Connection Speed" (sorry, the phone is in my native language and I don't know precisely what it's called in english) it says 54Mbps.

(Bonus: All of our Android phones and tablets are sporadically thrown off the Orbi WiFi network at least once a day)

hmm , quite strange

after making sure you have the latest fw installed i suggest you do a full factory reset and re do the initial setup from scratch and dont recover from a file , this should clear out any issues , also make sure nothing is connected to the usb port as it doesnt work and may also cause issue if something is connected

if all that dont help i suggest you take it back and get a replacement and see if that is better

pete

The iPad will not tell you which band it is connected to, but the Orbi will, in the "Attached Devices" screen. As I said above, this information has been added in the latest firmware version. My Orbi puts my iPad Air 2 on 5GHz. It also puts my wireless-n Android tablet on 5GHz., even though it only gets 120Mbps, as opposed to the iPad Air 2 that gets my full download speed (150-240Mbps depending on the time of the day *smile*).

I agree about the replacement. Your Orbi sounds like it isn't all there.

Don't use speedtest.net - go into Safari and use DSLReports speed test there...

Much more accurate - see below - iphone 6s, and this isn't a remarkable outcome, but it's close to accurate and repeatable...

IMG_1156.PNG

The iPad will not tell you which band it is connected to, but the Orbi will, in the "Attached Devices" screen. As I said above, this information has been added in the latest firmware version. My Orbi puts my iPad Air 2 on 5GHz. It also puts my wireless-n Android tablet on 5GHz., even though it only gets 120Mbps, as opposed to the iPad Air 2 that gets my full download speed (150-240Mbps depending on the time of the day *smile*).

I agree about the replacement. Your Orbi sounds like it isn't all there.

Good news, a factory reset seems to have done the trick. I am now getting three times the speeds on the network now.

But it's triggered another issue where all of our Android based devices are sporadically thrown off the network, including our Chromecast which can't maintain a connection for more then a minute or two at a time.

Oh well. It's a start.

Good news, a factory reset seems to have done the trick. I am now getting three times the speeds on the network now.

But it's triggered another issue where all of our Android based devices are sporadically thrown off the network, including our Chromecast which can't maintain a connection for more then a minute or two at a time.

Oh well. It's a start.

Glad that things have gotten better...but again, no Android client problems here. Did you factory reset both the router and satellite, or just the router?

Oh well. It's a start.

Try the following recommendations too:

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-slow-wan-to-lan.12973/page-3#post-269410

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r24.19521/

Glad that things have gotten better...but again, no Android client problems here. Did you factory reset both the router and satellite, or just the router?

I just did the router.

I might do the Satellite later if that becomes an issue, when that goes back into the basement.

Hey guys,

Is it a total waste of money for me to spend an extra $120 on a third satellite for the Orbi? (Costco's 3 pack for $499 vs the regular 2 pack for $379). We've got a 3500 square foot 2-story home. The main base router has to stay in the back corner of the house downstairs. If I get the 2 pack I'd put the satellite upstairs somewhere. If I get the 3 pack I'd put one satellite on the opposite end of the house downstairs, and the second satellite upstairs somewhere. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

That is the way I deployed my Orbi and it's working fine. I need the one on the far end of downstairs due to reception issues in the living and dining rooms due to mirrors and other obstructions.

Hey guys,

Is it a total waste of money for me to spend an extra $120 on a third satellite for the Orbi? (Costco's 3 pack for $499 vs the regular 2 pack for $379). We've got a 3500 square foot 2-story home. The main base router has to stay in the back corner of the house downstairs. If I get the 2 pack I'd put the satellite upstairs somewhere. If I get the 3 pack I'd put one satellite on the opposite end of the house downstairs, and the second satellite upstairs somewhere. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

I found something that is very interesting in the Orbi, if you turn on QOS there is no way to turn it off! Who designed this firmware? Unless I am missing something, any ideas on how to turn it off without a factory reset that was recommended on the Netgear product site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online