What's new

Netgear R7200 or Asus RT3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Csection

I am looking at two routers Netgear R-7800 and the Asus RT-3100. Which would you recommend? The Netgear seems to have a little better hardware, but I like the Asus for configurability. I need a strong 5ghz signal to reach of about 50ft. through 3 walls.
I can get the Netgear cheaper around here.

Last edited:
I used both. For me RT3100 all the way. 55Ghz signal thru 3 walls... depends what material. I had no trouble thru 2 stick framed indoor drywalls.

I used both. For me RT3100 all the way. 55Ghz signal thru 3 walls... depends what material. I had no trouble thru 2 stick framed indoor drywalls.
Thanks for the reply!
I was leaning toward that one, but I haven't bought a router in quite a while and want to got the best one for the money.

There is no R7200. Are you talking about the R7000?

Sorry! I typed it wrong. I meant the R7800. I don't think I can edit the title
My! I overlooked. I am using R7800 and RT3100. Alternating back and forth. When RT3100 is on the air I notice it runs little warmer compared to R7800. Broadcom chips do that. Yet I have to experience damaged router from heat. Both are very stable. But RT3100 has more features. Also
you can't use Putty for an example to access R7800 to play with nvram settings, etc. If you are a tinkerer you'll like RT3100 more. Good luck.

My! I overlooked. I am using R7800 and RT3100. Alternating back and forth. When RT3100 is on the air I notice it runs little warmer compared to R7800. Broadcom chips do that. Yet I have to experience damaged router from heat. Both are very stable. But RT3100 has more features. Also
you can't use Putty for an example to access R7800 to play with nvram settings, etc. If you are a tinkerer you'll like RT3100 more. Good luck.
I know what you mean about heat. I had a Linksys E-3000 that ran pretty warm. I glued a straw to the front edge of the bottom to keep it up to let it cool better.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online