What's new

Netgear R8000 AC Router - If you have one post here

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Here is what NETGEAR had to say about the all-clients-on-one-radio problem:

SmartConnect should have balanced the load by associating the 4th client to the second 5GHz band.

In our test we found some WiFi devices do not retry to connect if once refused by the router. In such cases we allow the device to connect to whatever band they like. It seems the customer is having one or two such devices.

cc666: They were going to contact you to follow up. But it appears you already returned the router.

Smart Connect is supposed to monitor client performance and move clients between radios as their connect rates change. But, to my knowledge, the move occurs only during idle periods. I will verify this with NETGEAR.
NETGEAR says that radio assignment is not done dynamically because some clients don't like it. Radio assignment is done only on connect.

Broadcom's XStream technology is capable of dynamic switching (I saw it firsthand in a demo). But end product vendors can customize the features they expose.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!