What's new

Netgear WiFi Analytics App/Netgear Genie= Shoddy Work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Darknessrise

I've been watching the WiFi Analytics App since it released and there have been little to no improvements to this terrible app which is probably one of the worst out there, but people will use it because it's Netgear.

The app's functions were recently put into Netgear's Netgear Genie program. Yet, when they were ported over, they still lacked any real quality from a wireless scanner. I can't believe Netgear would put out such a shoddy program which probably took them very little time to work on.

Some of the flaws -
1) You need to be connected to a network for the app to work most of the time and you can't select a network in the signal box. Most devices will have their scanning abilities incredibly weakened when connected to a network.
2) You have to manually keep checking boxes for the networks for them to show up on your channel graph whenever they show up. Even after selecting "Select All" you have to keep checking the new networks popping in for it to show.
3) The graphs on the app are incredibly glitchy and constantly flash.
4) The graphs only show networks on channels 1 up and 1 down from their main channel (ex. a network on channel 6 shows as on 5-7 and according to the graph isn't overlapping with a channel 4 network).
5) The channel table only takes a channel into consideration if there's a network on it within range. If there's a network on channel 4,5, and 7 it'll only tell you what's best out of those 3.
6) It rates channels purely on the number of SSIDs and not strength. There could be 3 -90 signals on channel 1 and one -40 signal on 6 and it'll suggest you 6.
7) The channel analysis doesn't take into consideration overlap AT ALL. You could have your main network on 6 and if channel 7 is on the table with one network, it'll suggest you 7 even though you would pretty much be destroying yourself.
8) The program can't detect 40/80 MHz. All networks will show up as 20 MHz, even on the desktop version.
9) For the "Home Testing" function, it just records your signal and link rate and not your actual throughput to the router.
10) Whatever else I forgot to mention.

You would expect better work from a company like Netgear considering the much smaller companies have apps/scanners way better than this. This is only going to app to wireless troubles of Netgear users/neighbors of them because this app will be telling them to overlap their neighbors one channel away.

I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of auto channel scanning functions on their routers was the same. I always see newer Netgears on the oddest channels. They're always on channel 2, 10, or 5 or the like.

This app throws the 1,6,11 rule out the window.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I never bother using Genie when I play with Netgear. Genie is waste of time to me.

Same here, never installed Genie. No reason to use it.

Hi,
Marketing will do any thing to make their stuff attractive regardless of usefulness. I was talking to a tech support guy at some outfit and he said, " Honestly that stuff is nothing new
just different name" Netgear forum often shows complaints/frustrations about using Genie.

Not surprised. I gave up on their gear including their buggy routers/firmware years ago after my first B Wireless/Router....

Netgear Notified

I wanted to let you know I have talked about and forwarded your posts onto Netgear Product Management. Netgear does care about these comments. So you understand they generally outsource the development of these apps based on specifications to 3rd party software developers. Not an excuse but wanted to clarify how this software gets developed. Your feedback was very good. Thank you for the detailed report.

Genie though is not designed for the sophisticated user. The mainstream Netgear consumer market are not technically savvy. So the Genie app was built for the lowest common denominator.

The Wifi Analyser on the other hand was not. It is for the more sophisticated user. Netgear recognizes the value of the software tools and is making an effort to enhance its capabilities in this area. But there is still work to be done.

Thank again for the comments.

Bob Silver
Netgear Networking Consultant

The mainstream Netgear consumer market are not technically savvy.

I think you probably nailed it - for the entire Netgear Consumer Products lineup...

Not that it's a bad thing - bringing technology to people is always good - and Netgear has done a good job of making things simple and accessible. And the numbers prove that case...

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!