What's new

NETGEAR WNDR3700 Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I review only released firmware, claykin. I might look at a Beta, but any results posted in the Charts will be based on released firmware. I've been burned in the past by basing reviews on "soon to be released" firmware.

Have OEM's previously sent you "specially tuned" firmware just to look good in tests?

In the review i read "I also verified that the 3700 dropped to a maximum 54 Mbps link rate when using a WEP or WPA / TKIP connection."
this means that using any wireless security the speed is limited to 54Mbps?
That's not correct. WPA2/AES security will provide full speed. The N spec mandates that routers limit connection speed to 54 Mbps when using WEP or WPA/TKIP.

Regarding ReadyShare, if i have an USB NTFS exteral drive already filled of data, can i plug in directly in the router (without formatting)and share all data?
Yes. As noted in the Preview article, the data sheet says FAT16/32, NTFS Read/Write, Ext 2 Read/Write and Ext 3 Read/Write formats are supported.

Have OEM's previously sent you "specially tuned" firmware just to look good in tests?
I don't know if they were "specifically tuned". But they have sent firmware that they said would be released shortly, but then released months later.

That's not correct. WPA2/AES security will provide full speed. The N spec mandates that routers limit connection speed to 54 Mbps when using WEP or WPA/TKIP.
What is your suggestion about the most compatible security? Actualy in my router i use only MAC address filter. I have this client Mac,Pc, iPhone, xbox360,wii

What is your suggestion about the most compatible security? Actualy in my router i use only MAC address filter. I have this client Mac,Pc, iPhone, xbox360,wii
MAC address filtering is not really secure, because client MAC addresses are easily spoofed.

You should be using WPA2/AES if possible. Most N routers will support mixed WPA/TKIP / WPA2/AES, which is next best.
If you have products that support WEP only, I would get a separate 11g router and connect them to that.

Yes and no. All N clients must support WPA2/AES. So it's just A/B/G clients that will be using WPA/TKIP and they will be limited to 54 Mbps anyway.

So, the security mode won't be limiting performance. But the use of mixed N and A/B/G clients will.

5Ghz channels and regulatory domains.

Great review - as always - thanks!

Can you verify which channels does it support when in the "UK regulatory domain" for the 5Ghz band ? - should be band A & B (36-64 and 100-128) - but I've quite often found kit not designed for the UK only covers band A.....

DT

Last edited:
Can you verify which channels does it support when in the "UK regulatory domain" for the 5Ghz band ? - should be band A & B (36-64 and 100-128) - but I've quite often found kit not designed for the UK only covers band A.....
Sorry. My review sample is locked to US region and can't be changed. I'll ask NETGEAR.

Tim, is it possible to connect a WNHDEB111 to the WNDR3700 and use that as an access point with WPA security?
Use the WNHDE111 as an AP? Sure, 5 GHz only. But what are you trying to do?

I want to connect one or two wired devices that are in are downstairs and not in a position to have an ethernet run to them.

I think what you are trying to do is connect the WNHDE111 to the WNDR3700 wirelessly with WPA security, correct?

If you do that, the link will be limited to 54 Mbps. You need to use WPA2/AES to get the 11n speeds. This should be no problem, since both products support WPA2/AES.

I've been using WPA2+AES on my current router. It's just that I've been away that the previous top tier Netgear router could only connect using WEP. If both devices can connect using WPA2+AES then I'll be in line to pick up both units in the near future.

All 802.11n products must support WPA2/AES, which includes the WNHDE111.

Should I sell my WRT610N?

That's the question... we are no hardcore users, there is only 1 wired PC and 1 wireless Mac + an iPod sometimes that use it but the distance is what makes me think of getting this one. The router is one the second floor in a corner while the MAc is most of the time on the 1st floor in the opposite corner. Seems I could benefit from this new router.

The 610N still sells for more than what I paid for so timing is good. I wondwer what the new 610N v2 bring compared to v1?

VPN Support

My question as many others will have, does WNDR3700 support VPN passthrough or is port forwarding it for connecting to corporate VPN server?

I don't quite understand the multiple stream / 300mbps thing. If I have an Intel 5300 agn NIC (3x3) in my laptop and use this router, is it possible to get ~200Mbps?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!