What's new

NETGEAR WNDR4000 vs Asus RT-N56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RedFlare

New Around Here
NETGEAR WNDR4000/WNDR3700 vs Asus RT-N56U

Which one is best of the three? I've read multiple reviews and it seems like their all neck and neck. I have read some reports though that the WNDR4000 actually gives better range than the WNDR3700. Range is the most important aspect of a router to me, the lack of the netgear routers supporting a printer does not bother me. I need to boost internet up from my basement to the 2nd floor of my house. Price does not matter to me. Which one of these 3 routers would be the best?

Please advise.

Last edited:
Like 802.11g routers before them, 802.11n routers are becoming more alike than different.

In general, N routers don't extend range. They provide higher speed vs. location. When you get out to low signal level areas, N routers basically fall back to acting like 802.11g or even 802.11b routers.

If you want to extend range, add another access point or router-converted-to-access-point, connected via Ethernet. If you can't use Ethernet, then use HomePlug AV to connect them.

If you set aside the wireless performance, is there any difference in features etc on RT-N56U and WNDR4000? One big difference that I know of is that DD-WRT soon will come to the WNDR4000 and it seems like nothing is going on for the RT-N56U at the moment.