What's new

Netgear X10 Parental Control Sucks! - Need replacement

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MattCider

New Around Here
Hi All

This is my first post so hope this question hasn't already been asked.

Last week I bought a Netgear X10 after reading good reviews especially for LAG for my NAS, Plex Media Server and capable of running our 400mbps fibre connection.

However, it turns out this expensive router has the worst parental controls I have ever seen. I have logged into my existing Open DNS account for content block for the whole family but there is no option for individual device times, individual content blockers and times for certain content. Circle software promoted for lower and older spec Netgear routers is not available on the one.

I'm returning it as not suitable as must have parental controls for teenage children to make sure they are not spending too long online especially with exams soon. The X10 was a replacement for a much slower Asus RT88u.

Any suitable suggestions for a faster router with decent parental controls and LAG for NAS would be appreciated. My NAS can have Plex app on it and will transcode so its not essential on next router.

Thanks in advance
Matt

I'm returning it as not suitable as must have parental controls for teenage children to make sure they are not spending too long online especially with exams soon. The X10 was a replacement for a much slower Asus RT88u.

Technology is never a substitute for good parenting...

Tools are useful...

NETGEAR has partered with Circle to put their Parental Controls on some of their routers. Unfortunately, the X10 is not one of them and I suspect it is not likely to be given its price point and target audience.

Fortunately, you can buy the Circle device separately.

I seem to want it all. All the features of the X10 and parental controls. Previous routers including Linksys and more recently Asus have had something decent. My youngest is in their last year of school so just want to set on and off times for the day. Its more to help them rather than parenting, especially with exams next year. Open DNS blocks inappropriate content but with the X10 you can't set a schedule for the 2.4ghz or 5ghz - its whole router or nothing. The Circle device as standalone hardware seems to have some issues compared to the software version. Its another router but no idea what to get now. I don't need the AD feature yet so maybe just a dual or triple-band for now.

Technology is never a substitute for good parenting...

Tools are useful...

We are good parents but can't watch teenagers all the time. Its to help themselves with exams next year. Nothing there are time limits they will time manage what they need to do when they need to do it. No late night TV when Mum and Dad asleep :)

If you can't find a consumer product that can push 400Mb/s with the features you require, then you're going to need to look to a firewall distro running on higher-end architecture (ie. x86, Tilera, etc.). That is, if you're serious about full WAN utilization while running whatever access controls you feel you need. If you're ok with giving up some tens of Mb/s, then just make the compromise with yourself and roll with the highest-end Asus or whatever SOHO box will suffice.

If you want more details on the higher-end stuff, I can go into it, but that's basically where things are at for now, and where they're apt to remain for most likely the rest of 2018 and a good portion of 2019...

Thanks Trip for your offer of help. I like the X10 just not the parental controls or just the complete lack of them. What might be a better option for now is to put in a subnet with an older linksys ACS1900 (non DD-WRT) for now. CAT6 cable is next to son's room so could put all his devices on that subnet, set IP address on router, and then have the wifi on this router to turn off so all devices go off at the same time. Most people I know just have a basic ISP router and get on with their lives. Maybe I am trying to do too much!!

We are good parents but can't watch teenagers all the time. Its to help themselves with exams next year. Nothing there are time limits they will time manage what they need to do when they need to do it. No late night TV when Mum and Dad asleep :)

Understood - yep, it's a challenge, and tools can be useful - just keep in mind those little handheld computers called Smart Phones - turn off WiFi, and once on 3G/4G/LTE, all bets are off.

That’s why youngest son only has 2GB data a month on phone and everything else needs WiFi as no cellular access

That’s why youngest son only has 2GB data a month on phone and everything else needs WiFi as no cellular access

Can go either way - most LTE carriers will either throttle the service way down, or charge you with another bucket of bits...

Can go either way - most LTE carriers will either throttle the service way down, or charge you with another bucket of bits...

BTW - pimping my old company pre-ATT - the current Cricket Wireless - they give a big bucket of bits, and then throttle once the cap is past...

Cricket is about half the price of ATT, and it's the same network.

Most people I know just have a basic ISP router and get on with their lives. Maybe I am trying to do too much!!
The setup I was hinting at would require intermediate to advanced-level networking skills, and if you're lacking there, it could quite possibly feel like overkill. Thus, I would only go down the beefier appliance route if you have the interest and/or time to make it a learning project. Otherwise, perhaps just physically segmenting the kids' network via gear you already have, as you were thinking, would be the best option for now.

The setup I was hinting at would require intermediate to advanced-level networking skills, and if you're lacking there, it could quite possibly feel like overkill. Thus, I would only go down the beefier appliance route if you have the interest and/or time to make it a learning project. Otherwise, perhaps just physically segmenting the kids' network via gear you already have, as you were thinking, would be the best option for now.

Sorry for the delay, have been away for a few days.

I have the willingness to learn but probably not the time to put into it. Primarily I'm looking for a fast and secure way to get wifi around the house and to network devices. I don't want to be putting in ceiling boxes and running cables through walls to then re-plaster if I don't have to. I know my wife would just think I should get a bigger more expensive router and that should just work.

For now I am interested in the Synology RT2600ac especially as they are due to be releasing their mesh router which can act as a wired extender too. Their new hopefully soon to be released SRM 1.2 has great parental controls, not just time limits but content management too however their Intrusion Protection software slows down your internet connection. For security, it take it would be better to not have your wifi router as the first point to connect to the fibre modem and have another router in the middle with no wifi connection. Working on the 3 dummy router rule?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!