What's new

Network extension

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Brandon

Regular Contributor
I'm looking to move a lot of my "equpment" to the other side of my house, but I'm not sure how to go about running the internet.

Speed isn't to big of an issue, as most of them won't have anything on them that needs wire speed for big transfers.

I'm not sure what to go for, but I want best signal for range ratio, as well as secure. I'm looking for around 50-75 foot range, through atleast two walls. I've never used Powerline networking so I really know nothing about it. I also debated on two 5ghz Bridges, however I wasn't sure if that was really better or not.

Any thoughts?

If you can managed to run CAt5e (or CAT6) cables, do it. Nothing beats wired.

If not, Tim is probably spot on.

If you decide to go Wifi, don't bother with 5Ghz. its not for longer runs, especially when they are through multiple walls. You may need to use a repeater to get the job done with 2.4Ghz Wifi. Good luck.

I'm looking to move a lot of my "equpment" to the other side of my house, but I'm not sure how to go about running the internet.

Speed isn't to big of an issue, as most of them won't have anything on them that needs wire speed for big transfers.

I'm not sure what to go for, but I want best signal for range ratio, as well as secure. I'm looking for around 50-75 foot range, through atleast two walls. I've never used Powerline networking so I really know nothing about it. I also debated on two 5ghz Bridges, however I wasn't sure if that was really better or not.

Any thoughts?

Cable would require running outside of the house, which I didn't want to do (Open windows for one..)

I'll have to take a look at powerline, thanks.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!