What's new

New Asus RT-AC68U has slow LAN file transfer?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Read and write numbers are usually within about 5-10% of each other on hard drives.

As for what I get, 230-235MB/sec...but mine is a special case (2xGbE SMB Multichannel and 2x2TB RAID0 array on the server, 2x1TB RAID0 array on my desktop).

When I am running only a single Gigabit link I get 117MB/sec desktop to server. 116MB/sec laptop to server over the gigabit port.

Wifi I get 21MB/sec on my laptop to server over 300Mbps 2.4GHz sitting on my couch 7ft from my router. On my tablet I get 8-10MB/sec on the same couch, but that is connecting only at 150Mbps 2.4GHz.

If it is even a remotely modern hard drive (IE last 3-5 years) and isn't too full (at least 50% capacity remaning) and it isn't heavily fragmented, it should stand up to roughly full link speed of gigabit, minus overhead.

Overhead with TCP/IP is roughly 5% with standard frames and roughly 1% with jumbo frames. Then whatever L7 overhead there might be (In this case, probably CIFS/SMB overhead...which is...no idea).

So standard packet size, max throughput is 118MB/sec and with 9k jumbo frames it is 123.8MB/sec. CIFS/SMB does obviously then snatch a few MB/sec. That is with IPv4. IPv6 uses about an extra 1.3% without jumbo frames and about .2% with jumbo frames.

IIRC SMB has a 32 byte size.

So with standard size frames, IPv4 and no TCP time stamps, you are looking at 930Mbps maximum over gigabit ethernet and SMB/CIFS. 116.25MB/sec.

With 9k jumbo frames, IPv4 and no TCP time stamps, you are at 987Mbps over gigabit ethernet and SMB/CIFS. 123.3MB/sec.

Worst case for both if you include 802.1q (VLAN), TCP time stamps and IPv6 is 905Mbps/113MBps for standard frames and 982Mbps/122.75MB/sec for 9k jumbo frames.

Obviously, per adapter variations, dropped frames and other stuff is going to slow down either by some amount...but these are the absolute maximum theoretical performance of either using SMB/CIFS and TCP/IP over a gigabit link.

In my experience, using 9k jumbo frames, the maximum real world performance is roughly between 117 and 118MB/sec using the best NICs and best/short cabling you can get. Which is about 96% of the theoretical best.

In my experience jumbo frames are very much worth while, but not necessarily the bee's knees. I generally see about a 5-6MB/sec increase in throughput, which is less than the roughly 9-11% throughput increase it should be. That may be because of an increase in the penalty for every lost packet or for any time waiting on an ACK packet before resuming Tx.

Last edited:

Attachments

• MX60W-LST-6GB-25ST-ETH-Desktop2.jpg
    MX60W-LST-6GB-25ST-ETH-Desktop2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 578
  • RTA15-LST-6GB-25ST-ETH-Desktop2.jpg
    RTA15-LST-6GB-25ST-ETH-Desktop2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 534
After reading your guys replies all what is different in my case is cable length of my HTPC. It's about 30 ft from my router. Other desktop is about 4ft from the router. I need to find/buy different cable and try that. My hard drives are less than 4 years old.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!