What's new

new house nbn, need gear

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

twents

New Around Here
Hi there, been reading for the last few days about gear for our new house. I've got an old 7800n modem that I just found out only does about 60mb ewan link. I've signed up for a
100/40 nbn plan. What I was thinking of doing is Ntd>ewan on 7800n > 16 port giga switch< uaf-lr wireless ap.
Also thinking of a ubiquiti? Uaf-lr wireless ap as the 7800n drops out a lot.
My needs are wireless to support some hd streaming to a media player. Mostly phones and tablets a few smart tv's and consoles will also connect. The computers and other media players and nas's will connect wired to the switch (tp-link 16-24 port gig)

Am I crazy or is there an easier way? Looks like I should get another router to support faster ewan link. Should I bother with the wireless ap? or just get a n66u Asus thing and be done with it?

House is single story about 30 squares in Australian measurements. Cheers fellas.

Last edited:
Not sure what a number of your acronyms mean (ewan? Something Wide Area Network? ntd???)

As for what you should probably do, for a single story at 30m^2, I'd get a single wireless router, unless it is going to be located in the corner for a concrete block or cinderblock house, that should cover it easily.

For a switch, that size house a 16 port seems a little overkill, but if you have the devices to populate it, you might as well.

NBN is Australia's wholesale broadband initiative - it provides around 93 percent of the residents with 100Mbit down/40Mbit up bandwidth.

EWAN - Ethernet Wide Area Network - as part of the NBN, they install a NTD box (Network Termination Device) which does a lot of things, including an ethernet port out to connect to customer premises equipment - e.g. router, etc...

To put this in more familiar terms - it's fiber to the premises...

Since you didn't mention where the NTD is, consider that most WiFi on a single floor, should give very good performance out within 1500 sq ft for 2.4Ghz, and 750 square feet for 5Ghz. 750 sq feet is 70 sq meters FWIW...

One challenge one might face is on the WAN port - doing some research here is that it needs MER (MAC Encapsulated Routing) - which might limit your options on the ingress side - depends on how they've configured the NTD.

FWIW - for specifics on the NBN, might try the whirlpool.net.au forums - and then bounce back here for insight/advice on the WLAN/LAN/NAS side.

Yeah sorry about that trying to type this on my phone as well.
30 square house here works out to be about 280 square meters. Basically 4 bedrooms, 3 lounge rooms, dining room and 2 bathrooms. They use a funny measurement here.
They usually install the fibre boxes in the shed (garage) in oz for new houses. That's why I was thinking of getting the wireless ap (uaf-lr) to put somewhere central in the house.

The wan to lan link on the billion 7800n seems to be about 60 megabit. The nbn plan I'm getting is 100/40.
The house has 6 data ports spread throughout the house and I will be putting extra ones in.
Hope this clears things up.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Well, for the Modem/NAP, if the provider is promising 100/40, and only delivering 60, sounds like time to hit them up and ask why is this?

(NBNco is not the provider, they just carry the bits)

For the size of the house (280 sq meters), sounds like maybe two AP's - location is everything in WiFi, so position them accordingly.

I'm getting the nbn installed today. What I'm asking is if I need a new router that supports more than about 60megabit between the wan and lan port. They reckon it would be wise to get a router with at least 200 mb/s between the wan and lan ports

I'm getting the nbn installed today. What I'm asking is if I need a new router that supports more than about 60megabit between the wan and lan port. They reckon it would be wise to get a router with at least 200 mb/s between the wan and lan ports

That wouldn't hurt. That said, most vaguely new 802.11n and pretty much all (maybe all?) 802.11ac routers with gigabit ports are going to be able to handle that.

For 280m^2, I'd say two APs, or a router and an AP (or router in AP mode) at roughly opposite ends of the house would be your best bet for coverage. Even centrally located, 5GHz is going to be bad in the far corners and 2.4GHz is going to be noticably degraded (though if just looking for basic streaming, web browsing and gaming, 2.4GHz will be fine in the corners with any half way decent router is centrally located so long as regular 2x4 and drywall construction).

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!