What's new

New ISP router - has no Guest function - looking for suggestions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

layw

New Around Here
First post.. for the longest time I had ran the previous ISP router in bridge mode and did all the work from a AC68U (DHCP, WiFi and Guest WiFi)

I have switched speeds and my provider has now switch to CGM4981 router. To take advantage of the speed increase I could eliminate the AC68U and use the WiFi from the CGM4981.
The problem is and confirmed by talking with the ISP tech support there is no "guest" WiFi option

In the past my home setup was very simple - just a few connected devices that I would connect to the guest WiFi (TV and Firestick) having these isolated away from my LAN (NAS drive and laptop)

We will be adding camera's soon which I wish to isolate as well.

Now that a guest network is no longer I could put the CGM4981 into bridge but the AC68U is a bit long in the tooth in comparison.
Could I run the CGM4981 as is and connect the AC68U WAN port to a LAN port on the ISP router and use the 2.4 channel in WiFI and Guest.

Or is the suggested solution involve different hardware or configuration (VLAN? which I know of but never used and would need to learn)

Suggestions? - (or am I just over thinking things)

With the ASUS gear I've used, it's possible to put the router into "AP-only" mode so that it just acts as a wireless AP, no routing or DHCP functionality. Running that downstream of your new ISP modem should work as a stopgap solution.

It's generally recommended to use a separate VLAN for security cameras, so if you are headed in that direction you will eventually need VLAN-aware switch(es) and should probably also switch out the AC68U in favor of AP(s) that can associate the guest SSID with a separate VLAN. But you don't need to spring for all that right away.

Are you in a hurry to upgrade the AC68U to get better wifi performance? If so, what are you concerned about --- speed, coverage, both?

Thank you..

No hurry on the AC68U at this point - coverage is pretty good (but could be improved upon) faster WiFi speed from the ASUS in AP mode would be nice as my new laptop and any new devices can take advantage of that.
I read that it has reached the end of support - but then if set as a "AP" that really isn't an issue.. when I replace it I'd would want something that can take 3rd party as I have been using Merlin for a while. I'm not stuck on ASUS but I just scratch my head when looking at all the choices out in the market.

With limited knowledge of implementation - would the ISP router feed a configured managed switch with a VLAN/AP combination for the cameras and another VLAN/AP for "guest"?
As well I would prefer to have my LAN (home office stuff) behind something that I control (and have up to date) - so another router behind the ISP router (not sure if this is making things overly complex)

What to look for when looking at AP's ?