What's new

New "N" Router - DD-WRT Firmware Recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mrwirez

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I'm new here. I found this site by searching for networking help.. and it was also recommended by my work buddy.

I am currently building a home network for audio and video storage and streaming [server]. I suppose the best place to start would be with a new router. Cable is just TOO EXPENSIVE now.

I have been using an old Linksys WRT-54GS v1.0 for 10 years with great success. However, I need more speed and and my "G" band is very crowded around here. I have installed DD-WRT firmware for all of it's extra goodies. I will continue to use my WRT-54GS as a repeater on the 2.4 GHz band.

Here is my question: I'm looking for an new 802.11 N router with most of the bells and whistles, backward compatible, and DD-WRT ready

I have found some manufacturers have changed from Broadcom and Atheros chips to a Marvell Processor [Cisco-Linksys E4200 v2]. DD-WRT is NOT supported by Marvel chips. Any and All Suggestions Welcome.

P.S. I find the dd-wrt forums, convoluted, hard to use, and too many differing opinions.

Thanks for any input. Mrwirez ;)

did you consider power line HPNA and/or MoCA?
WiFi is really the last resort for immobile devices.

Today's good WiFi routers have so many features, the case for DD-WRT isn't strong.