What's new

New network: DHCP etc etc.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

porthacking

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have all the bits and pieces to setup a network sitting on the floor in my room. I think I understand the process enough to be able to set all of this (and I want to learn anyway) but have a few questions.

Wireless router downstairs will send internet to my network upstairs.

I have a Netgear GS108T upstairs for the network, it will have two computers (one primary and one as a backup), an ethernet sound system, WD TV Live, and an Access Point attached to it.

The internet will come to the upstairs network via the Access Point. Furthermore, my flatmate will access the internet directly (wirelessly) from the downstairs router (in case anything breaks on my network when I'm not at home).

Are there any DHCP/NAT type settings of which I need to be aware? I assume the downstairs router will allocate IPs for my flatmates computer and my AP? What then happens with my two computers and the WD TV Live, it needs to be able to access the net as well. Perhaps when I connect all this stuff up it will just work (although I doubt it), but any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

We both download a bit, so would it be better to use static IPs, or will this complicate things too much?

Thanks.

one more...

Would it be possible for my flatmate to access the net from the downstairs router, but access my computer through the AP connected to my switch upstairs? What is the best solution?

Diagram please. How does the downstairs router connect to the switch upstairs?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!