What's new

New router decision

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which wireless N router should I buy keeping in mind my needs below?

• Asus RT-N16

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D-Link DIR-655 A4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Engenius ESR-9850

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

michaelnyden

New Around Here
I am trying to decide between three wireless N routers.

The D-link A4 revision dir-655
The Asus RT-N16
and the Engenius ESR-9850
even the d-link B1 revision dir-825 is an option as well but I always see low user reviews for it...is it really that bad?

all three have my requirements of being white to blend in with the carpet, have gigabit ports and are optimized for p2p sharing. The asus of course has the most ram and processor speed as well as the built in BT client which is nice, but if the BT client preforms poorly compared to utorrent on a real desktop than the extra feature is useless to me. Which of these performs the best? I have read the reviews on here and although the engenius is brand new and can't find any reviews yet, the d-link and asus are similar in speed. I also want a router I never have to restart/is rock solid and doesn't run too hot.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
The company Engenius/Senao has a reputation for fine electronic products, and I spent a good amount researching them before selecting two of their products. I was impressed with their quality compared to their competitors, and they cost less. But what good is cheap if it doesn't work?

I looked into the 9850, but ended up with the dual band 7750 and the USB 9801.

I do not own the 9850, but evaluated it. What you can anticipate from Engenius is equal or better performance for less money.

The downside is that 9850, as were both of mine, are not WFA certified, but the Ralink wifi chipsets used are. They do mention what chips they use in many of their product literature, this gives one an idea how they could ideally perform and compare against other makes who use similar chipsets.

When you read the few reviews of a scattering of Engenius products here and there, they often rate 4 stars or more. YMMV, but as this website does, I dissected mine and, being a former engineer type myself, found they deliver more of what the spec sheet say the product should be, than bigger names.