What's new

New router for dense apartment comlex

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lws8h

New Around Here
Hi, this is my first post.

I'm in the market looking for a new router after several years of the linksys WRT54G.

My devices are: Vizio "smart" tv, 3 android devices (nexus 7, s3, s4), apple air laptop, ipad, chromecast.

I live in an apartment in a densely populated area of the city.

Current issues: Range seems to be an issue as some rooms drop the connection more often than others. Neflix and amazon prime on the Vizio TV can be slow or will lose the connection. Chromecast videos can be very choppy (I've heard of the issues with chromecast interference and unplug it when not in use).

I'm looking for a reliable, secure, fast router with good range (probably what everyone is looking for). I'm willing to spend $200 if there is a noticeable difference vs. a $100 or $50 router.

Looking at the rankings, it seems that the best choices are (per various price points):

Netgear R7000 ($200)
Asus RTN66U ($150)
Netgear WNDR 4300 ($100)

I was wondering if anyone could provide a recommendation given my needs: reliable, secure, works in a dense apartment, works with my listed devices, willing to pay extra $ if it helps.

Thanks so much for your help.

Last edited:
As to the Vizio... any possible way to run cat5 cable to it from router, or place router nearer to it, so you don't use WiFi for streaming video? My vizio works flawlessly on Netflix - but I avoid WiFi and use MoCA in lieu of cat5 cable. IP over power line (as in HomePlug) is another popular option. See the forum section here on that.

The WRT54G is kinda doggy. What is your ISP speed?

As to routers - it very much depends on model, more so than brand. Read the reviews at the main site here. Read user reviews on Newegg (ignoring the stupid people comments).

I'd say most any 11n WiFi router in the area of $50 will do fine. If it's in the right place. If you have good ISP speeds, etc. And try to avoid streaming video on any kind of WiFi.

Hi,
First, run some thing like inSSIDer and do a survey around your place.
If 2.4GHz band is pretty crowded using 5GHz is an option. Then your devices have to be all capable of running on 5GHz band. If you don't have any device which can run in AC mode, IMO, ASUS RT-N66U is
the one for you. Good luck.

Before worrying about doing a survey... know that in WiFi, what's important is not how many neighboring SSIDs you see - but rather, if any are heavy users all the time, such as streaming HD TV (not Netflix), or downloading scads of music/video.
AND if so, you simply move 3+ channels away from that.

Unfortunately the common free WiFi survey tools do NOT tell you how busy each SSID is. Signal strength means nothing, if that SSID is not a heavy user. There are cheap ways to guesstimate how busy channels are, if you wish to spend the effort before changing channels.

Thanks for the replies.

stevech- I've thought about running cat5 to the TV, but I'm hoping to avoid that option since I'd have to run it through the kitchen. Not sure what my ISP speed is, I'll try to find it and report back. Pretty sure it is the cheapest broadband option from Comcast. I've thought about the $50 media link on Amazon but it is only 2.4ghz: I'm worried about crowding on that band in my apartment.

TonyH- I apologize, I'm new to this and not sure I understand all the terminology. My phones and tablets are all around a year old (nexus 7, s3, s4), so not sure if they can run 5ghz or AC, I'll have to research it and get back to you. My Vizio TV is about 3-4 years old, so I'm guessing that means maybe it supports 5ghz, but not AC? Again, I'm not that tech savy so I'll have to research it.

The RT N66U seems great and is highly reviewed on Amazon and on this site. The only question I would have is: If I'm paying $150 for the N66U, should I just pay the extra $35 for the AC66U for "future" proofing? I get the feeling this forum is generally against that idea. Also, should I just pay the extra $50 and get the Nighthawk? It seems like Tim is generally against buying brand new technology before the bugs are worked out- but on the other hand, reviews have been great so far, firmware upgrades seem easy- I have to admit I'm tempted to just get the nighthawk.

Hi,
Actually, I just replaced RT-AC66U with Netgear R7000 at no cost to me. I always get random new stuffs from a source free as a gift or whatever you may call it. So far current crop of AC routers are AC (draft) ones. Formal AC mode routers may be just under the horizon or some thing else will overtake it. Also I had RT-N66U for almost a year as well which was good work horse. One thing I can tell is R7000 runs cooler than both ASUS ones you mentioned and definitely 5GHz has better range but not much on 2.4GHz.

Well on both Amped Wireless routers I have I was able to stream 1080p HD videos without buffering 150ft away thru 5 walls and a big metal door. You may want to give them a try, as they have been awesome for me and rock solid. I get good transfer rates as well.

The ones I have are the R20000G and the RTA15.