What's new

New router , new problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

farside

New Around Here
Hi,

Have a little (BIG) problem with my local network.
Today i bought a new router (Asus RT-N56U) and have now got a little problem with that when I transfer stuff from my laptop which is wirelessly connected to the network to my NAS (Seagate BlackArmor NAS 220) which is wired to a repeater (netgear WN2000RPT) which is connected to the router (wirelessly of course)

Previously, I had an old netgear router, which was extremely slow, which was the reason that I chose to switch router.
With the old router everything worked smoothly, however slowly.

The problem is that when I send something over to the NAS the file transfer stops after a while, and the computer complains that the network location is no longer available.
I have still contact with the Internet and can restart the transfer and then start it back up and running by after 5 mins.... Does not matter if I transfer via FTP, SMB or if I start a torrent and choose to save it to my NAS. same error, the network location is no longer available ...
However, I can, as soon as I get the message that the network location is not available, connect to the NAS UI, so it's up and running.

The biggest difference on the router, I assume , is that it is faster .. is it that my NAS is not able to handle the speed? (sounds strange..) Some settings I have missed?

It doesn´t matter if i connect it by wire directly to the router , still same problem..

And as i said , it started today , when i use the new router.
Please help ..

WDS repeaters are notorious for poor interoperability, blamed most on the absence, in IEEE 802.11, of a defined standard for repeaters, meaning WDS schemes are de facto mechanism. So vendor/vintage A and B may not reliably, and cannot be made to do so, especially on encrypted links.

I wonder if the (WDS) WiFi repeater is the weakest link. There must be a non-obvious reason why your NAS isn't nearby/connected by cat5 to your router, as it optimally should be. Or the NAS uses a switch to enter the network, rather than a WiFi repeater or bridge.

i will try to connect the NAS to the Router with a cable when i get home from work again , but as i stated , i had the same problem yesterday when i tried that.
Still , i can disable the repeater aswell to see if that is the issue.

Any more ideas?

Best Regards
Patrik

Might not be related to the NAS at all, it must be the laptop or how the laptop connects. Try connecting the laptop wired, then in wireless G mode only, then wireless N and see what changes.

I have seen similar behavior between my XP Pro SP3 machine (Gigabyte motherboard with gigabit network), my new Linksys E4200 and my Patriot Javelin, both also with gigabit hard wired with full CAT 6 cables.

Watching data transfer between the PC and the Javelin, I see the transfer graph vary wildly throughout the process. It's never a constant stream of data (I'm transferring large ISO files that are contiguous on an internal SATA hard drive in the PC so there's not a lot of hard drive seeking going on) at any particularly high rate. There are occasional periods of what looks like no activity that usually don't last that long but they are there.

So it happens on wired connections too. It's not just a wireless thing. It's probably more to do with the way your PC is reading and sending the data or there's some OS buffering taking place. I get better results using TerraCopy instead of Windows native file management.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!