What's new

New router vs mesh vs extender for fios in apartment

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jamst149

Occasional Visitor
So I currently use the MI424wr in a 2 story 2 bed set up. My most used rooms are living room and bedroom. I am nothing doing anything stressful for the most part (web browsing and some video streaming). Of course if I place the router in the living room (where coax enters) I have issues with connectivity in the bedroom. And vice versa (I do also have coax in the bedrooom)

Well I just upgraded to the G1100. So perhaps that will help. Should know soon.

However assuming it doesnt I seem to have 3 options. 1) Buy my own router and hope that helps 2) Mesh (costly!) 3) try and extender or access pooint at the other coax (perhaps with the MI424wr???). Also is that considered an access point? Or an extender? Or repeater? Unsure of the nomenclature

Obviously I want a solution that works but I dont want to break the bank either if I dont have too. So any thoughts would be great thanks

edit*if it matters I only have internet. No set top box.
edit2*Since I have no STB would running ethernet from the ONT to the router help at all?

Last edited:
Maybe you can put the G1100 (.1) in the living room as wireless router, put the MI424wr (.2) in the bedroom as AP (bridge mode?), and connect them via coax/MOCA. I've only done this once and had to Google it... but I think it works. And costs nothing.

Found my notes:
o G1100 (not sure what I used... it was the neighbor's FIOS), 192.168.1.1, DHCP .10-.99, WiFi on Ch 1.
o MI424-WR Rev. D, 192.168.1.2, DHCP disabled, Broadband coax disabled, WiFi on Ch 11.
o Common SSID but separate channels

He was then able to wire his smart TV to the MI424-WR and had better WiFi coverage.

OE

Last edited:
Since you are not using their TV service, things will be a little easier.

If you have direct access to the ONT, then you can just run an Ethernet cable to it and use any router you want.

I also have the g1100 and its WiFi coverage is horrible (better than the MI424-WR, but still bad). I currently have its radio off and it set up as a moca to Ethernet bridge so that my set top boxes can have internet connectivity, and it is connected to my R7800 in a LAN to LAN setup.

If verizon decides to enable the Ethernet port on the set top boxes, then I will completely get rid of the G1100.

If you just need extra coverage, and can run Ethernet, then an access point or an old wireless router that you are willing to use as an access point can work.

So I guess I will see how the G1100 does. I'm assuming it won't be much better based on what I've read.

At that point I would imagine it makes the most sense then to use the G1100/MI424 as router/AP and see how that does.

If that fails then I'll have to decide on whether to get a new router vs mesh

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!