What's new

New to routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

galapagos

New Around Here
hey guys, I've had D-Link a year ago, but then moved and left it. Right now I am connected through Comcast cable (through Ethernet cable), through Comcast's Motorolla modem. I am going to get some more lap tops and want to create a home network and be able connect to this network remotely (from other cities). How would you set it up? I am interested in what gear to buy: what modem and what router? I will have around 4-5 lap tops at home all in the same room.

PS. I'm not a security freak, so I won't have any antivirus/firewall on my computers. Just need to have stable connections.. thanks in advance

hey guys, I've had D-Link a year ago, but then moved and left it. Right now I am connected through Comcast cable (through Ethernet cable), through Comcast's Motorolla modem. I am going to get some more lap tops and want to create a home network and be able connect to this network remotely (from other cities). How would you set it up? I am interested in what gear to buy: what modem and what router? I will have around 4-5 lap tops at home all in the same room.

PS. I'm not a security freak, so I won't have any antivirus/firewall on my computers. Just need to have stable connections.. thanks in advance

You can get one of those VirginMoble Prepaid 3G Internet USB adapters for $99 or at Wal-mart $87.97. Then setup the D-LINK to remote access. Helps if you have *.com or *.net account if not then you can use one of those free IP (no ip.com) mask your IP to give you homenet.net. I use to use Ultra VNC to remove in over a wireless to my network via anywhere even from a cruise ship out at sea. It does work without any glitches. I would test prior before you start doing remote connections.

Also you need to have security doesn't make much sense to me not to have it. Otherwise you're walking around with a sign on your head saying 'COME ON IN ' IT'S OPEN NETWORK '

Ack..no antivirus? You like formatting and reinstalling Windows on a regular basis eh?

Why not at least use Microsoft Security Essentials? It's FREE..and it's one of the best antivirus packages out there..certainly the best FREE one, and even better than most PAID for ones. It's nag free, runs quietly in the background, automatic updates, low system impact, and VERY good at detection...especially with todays frequent rogues/fake alerts.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!