What's new

Newb recommendations for home setup please?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IcarusLSC

New Around Here
Hello,

Sorry in advance for the long post, I'll try to get as much useful (and I'm sure much not useful!) info included as possible:

I'm resetting up my house network (~2000 s/ft, 3 stories + basement, brick), as I had an Asus router (don't recall model now, sorry) for a while that had ok coverage with my 35/5 connection. It died in January of 2016, so have been using my Bell modems built in WiFi all year. I've lost a ton of the coverage and it won't work in my driveway, or very well out back or in the basement now. I don't have many things connected (3 phones, couple Blu-ray players w/Netflix, 2 surfing/email PCs + one gaming PC I use a lot, and a laptop I like to use in the garage.) I may switch to fibe tv this year fwiw too...

I've talked with my friends at the computer shop, and they recommended the TP-Link Archer C2600 as it's on sale for $109.99 till the 5th. I've never used TP-Link but am weary as I read they have offered a "voluntary refund" on some of their Powerline items (which leads into my next questions as well, more on that in a few...)
I am familiar with the basics of networking, but do get lost at times reading through these forums and online at all there is to figure out/tech jargon (but I'm still very willing to try!)

Does this sound like a good router to go with? I'd bridge my Bell modem again like I had before and use it the same way as I did with my old Asus router.

This gaming PC is my main PC, and the router/modem are here in same room and I use it wired for speed/latency. I have one PC directly on the floor below me used mainly for email, browsing etc, which I've been using a Powerline adapter for the past year+ with but the adapter has gone flakey now so needs to be replaced (resets every second or two, tried resetting, firmware upgrade etc.) The phones are all wireless, laptop is wireless-g or wired if upstairs in this room, usually use the laptop in the garage (it's got all my shop manuals etc on it.) Blu-ray player in this gaming room is wired, one downstairs is wireless and rarely used, other PC is wireless-g as well, and rarely used too. so not much really happening on this network other then the Netflix and gaming PC.

Should I buy new Powerline adapters for the downstairs PC, or go wireless with it too? I had it wireless before the Powerline adapter, but the signal for being directly under to router was not good for some reason no matter what I tried and disconnected at times. I don't want to have to replace these stupid Powerline adapters every year! Should I consider anything for the fibe tv I may switch too this year as well?

Thanks all for helping a newb with this. I've enjoyed reading your forum for a long time now, reading reviews etc. so figured it was time to join! Happy New Years :)

Any reason the TP-Link Archer C2600 isn't in your charts or router ranker? You have reviewed it.