What's new

Newbie N Bridge/AP Help Please!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dpendleton

New Around Here
Hi,

I've read a few posts here trying to answer my own question, but am not sure and would appreciate your help.

I have FIOS with the actiontec router (with the wireless turned on), that is connected to a Gigabit switch, from that switch ethernet runs to a couple of locations, one upstairs, one in a basement, with Gigabit switches and PCs/NAS hung off them. There is one room with a PC (with wireless N card) that for various reasons I can't get cable to, but want to be able to stream HD content from my NAS to. What (I think) I want to do, it to place a Wireless N device connected to my switch upstairs and then have the PC connect to that.

Would this work? What Wireless N product would I need/would you recommend? Could I leave the wireless on the Actiontec switched on?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I'm assuming your existing wireless router isn't wireless N?

You 'could' do what you mention (PC-to-PC ad-hoc), but the less complicated setup would be to get a wireless N router or access point and simply plug it in upstairs to your switch (if you get a router, you have to disable DHCP and give it a different address than your existing router). This will give you a wireless N access point to which your computer can connect.

Besides, SNB has well proven it's better to add, not replace when switching to N, so adding an N access point might not be a bad idea. Less complicated than trying to do PC-to-PC wireless.

Thanks for the advice. My existing router isn't wireless N, So adding a Wireless N Router or Access Point to the switch upstairs sounds like the way to go, any recommendations?

Thanks!

What is the distance between where you will add the AP and the PC that it will connect to?
What is the N card in the PC?
For HD, I would really recommend Ethernet if you can at all do it.

The access point and the PC will be about 30ft apart with a couple of interior walls between. I'm not sure what the N card in the PC is. I'll certainly take another look at running ethernet... I might have to get creative! Thanks for the advice.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!