What's new

Newbie question re. isp speed.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

earhere

New Around Here
Hi all,

Thanks for all the excellent advice and contributions on this site. It led me to get rid of my DIR-655 and replace it with an ASUS Dark Knight.
It more than tripled my wireless speed, peaking at 110Mb/s, so that's more than plenty for me.

The question I have is the following:

I currently have a 101/35 plan with my provider (which obviously costs a bit more).

In my kitchen area, which is furthest from the router, I still get around 25 down and 15 up, more than sufficient for what I need.

If I downgrade my ISP plan to a 50/15 plan (which is cheaper) , will my wireless speed now also drop by half?

So would I now only get 12.5/7.5 in the kitchen or will it still be 25/15, as that's still below the ISP plan's max speed?

Thanks !

If I downgrade my ISP plan to a 50/15 plan (which is cheaper) , will my wireless speed now also drop by half?

Thanks !
No.
If they have a plan lower than 50/15, like 20/2, you could also take that and see no real difference in average use. Higher speed is can help people that do daily big downloads from internet servers that will do so. Most won't. Most users don't.

Just be sure your WiFi connection speed indicated on the client is greater than your ISP's speed if you need best possible. Most handheld devices don't need/can't use more than 10-20Mbps down, IMO.

Even if the portable device on WiFi is at 54Mbps you'll probably seen no difference in web surfing due to the high overhead of the Internet.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!