What's new

No Internet via WRT54G router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Al Thumbs

Occasional Visitor
I use a Linksys WRT54G router to supply Internet via WiFi in my home. I have an iMac wired to the router, and I use an iPhone and iPad as wireless clients. A week ago, I replaced my generic Comcast-supplied broadband modem with a Motorola Surfboard 6120 modem. Since that time, I have had three incidents in which neither the wired iMac or the WiFi iThings could get onto the Internet. The WiFi signal is strong, but there is no Internet on it.

In each case I first verified that there is Internet at the modem by connecting the iMac directly to it. Then I reset the Linksys via the reset button and configured it again. I made sure that Clone MAC address is Enabled. Then everything worked again.

A power outage may have triggered one of the incidents, but the other two seem without cause. What is happening? The Linksys, though old, has worked reliably until I changed out the modem. Am I configured incorrectly?

All assistance welcomed!

Al Thumbs

Sounds like the WAN port has gone duff on you. Next time have your WiFi connected to APC with battery backup an full surge protection. Best investment you could have today.

APC is a brand of Uninterruptible Power Supply, which means that if power fails the battery in the UPS will take over supplying utility line power. So whatever is connected to it won't even know that the line power has failed, browned out, or glitched. And look for one that has good surge protection as well, to take care of power line glitches. However, if power is out long enough, the battery in the UPS will eventually be drained, and your router will lose power (gently *smile*). But the vast majority of times, the connected equipment will never see any problems on the power line.

I have my cable modem and router connected to a UPS, as well as my desktop computer. I've had no problems with power glitches in a long time as a result. This is a really good idea.

The WAN port on your router is where you connect the ethernet coming out of your modem, your connection to the outside world ("wide-area network").

I use a Linksys WRT54G router to supply Internet via WiFi in my home. I have an iMac wired to the router, and I use an iPhone and iPad as wireless clients. A week ago, I replaced my generic Comcast-supplied broadband modem with a Motorola Surfboard 6120 modem. Since that time, I have had three incidents in which neither the wired iMac or the WiFi iThings could get onto the Internet. The WiFi signal is strong, but there is no Internet on it.

In each case I first verified that there is Internet at the modem by connecting the iMac directly to it. Then I reset the Linksys via the reset button and configured it again. I made sure that Clone MAC address is Enabled. Then everything worked again.

A power outage may have triggered one of the incidents, but the other two seem without cause. What is happening? The Linksys, though old, has worked reliably until I changed out the modem. Am I configured incorrectly?

All assistance welcomed!

Al Thumbs
Sounds to me like the Linksys WAN port (the ethernet port connecting your router to the modem) is misconfigured. Not sure about your ISP, but normally the "clone" MAC address setup is not required. The router's WAN port is normally set to ask the modem for an IP address using DHCP (not related to DHCP on the LAN ports of your router). PPPoE is not used for cable modems, in my experience, so disable that in the router.

Comcast should provide you help and/or free on-site aid in getting your router to integrate with the modem - but... your modem is one you purchased, not one provided by Comcast. Perhaps you purchased your own modem to reduce your monthly fee? I'm on TimeWarner and they do not permit user-purchased modems and are very helpful in site visits.

I suppose too that since you purchased your own modem, that you had to call Comcast to get it authorized, and configured by them - correctly we hope.

Always try unplugging everything for 5 minutes. Then connect the modem first (cause it's the wan) then wait until all the lights are lit (usually green) essp the light that says "Internet" then plug in the router.

Hooey is when solutions are recommended before the problem is even identified. You don't have power problems and don't need that expensive APC.

Now, when problems occur, collect important facts. iMac will be a best diagnostic tool since complications from WiFi are eliminated. Start with the lowest level protocol. Each ethernet wire should cause a light to illuminate when interconnected. Typically the light on iMac would be part of the connector. A light on the Linksys would be on the front panel. Confirm this by temporarily disconnecting the ethernet wire. That light will extinguish.

From your description, that connection is probably fine. But more important is an Ethernet wire from Linksys to Surfboard. What does that light report when problems exist?

That's level one. Now for higher level protocols. You don't describe how the link level is configured. From Safari, enter the address of 192.168.1.1. That should log into either a server inside the Linksys or a server inside the Surfboard. Learn if you can talk to either or both computer. And how IP addresses are being assigned (leased).

These tests are best done when things are working. Then later, if things fail, then you know what 'not working' looks like. Not just for you. Learning this simple test also best advise for others.

A better reply would exist had you provided critical facts. Such as what you configure in the Linksys. And what configurations are in the Surfboard.

Also try connecting iMac directly to the Surfboard. Enter the 192.168.1.1 address or what even address would apply to learn what is or is not observed.

Your problems are typically not environmental. But the number of possibilities is enormous - maybe as many as 100 different things might be 'fixed'. A better solution first defines a problem by learning what exists before fixing anything. First learn what you have when things work (ie lights for each ethernet connection). Then repeat those inspections when a failure happens. Also report how the Linksys and Surfboard are configured. The iMac and Safari talking to 192.168.1.1 (or whatever address is configured) will go a long way to identifying which of maybe 50+ items is problematic.

Problematic power anomalies happen maybe once every seven years. Would not cause those three hickups. A typical transient may damage grossly undersized protection in an APC UPS. But would be too tiny to overwhelm superior protection already inside the Surfboard, Linksys, and iMac. That most expensive recommendation was based only in advertising generated myths. Will do nothing for your problem.

Have you called Comcast Customer Care - just changing the modem may not be enough - have the MAC address and Serial Number of the Cable Modem ready when you contact them - likely the modem is not provisioned correctly on their side.

Not sure if this is still accurate - many of the Motorola modems have a built-in diagnostic page @ http://192.168.100.1 - there are a number of items you can look at there...

Always try unplugging everything for 5 minutes. Then connect the modem first (cause it's the wan) then wait until all the lights are lit (usually green) essp the light that says "Internet" then plug in the router.

I have tried this routine for all three occasions of outages, and iit worked on the first one, but did not work for outages two and three. I don't know why that would be.

AT

Have not tried to look at the modem via web browser, as it seems to work fine when I plug the Imac directly into it Will take a look.

I did call Comcast when putting the new modem online, and the tech (a term used generously) stayed on the line while I tried to get the router to work. It did not. She told me that Comcast had a department devoted to getting routers to work, but she could not tell me if I'd be charged for that service, so I decided to try to figure it out myself. I power-cycled all items, and the router connected to the Internet. I thought i was home free, but that procedure didn't work again.

Hooey is when solutions are recommended before the problem is even identified. You don't have power problems and don't need that expensive APC.

Now, when problems occur, collect important facts. iMac will be a best diagnostic tool since complications from WiFi are eliminated. Start with the lowest level protocol. Each ethernet wire should cause a light to illuminate when interconnected. Typically the light on iMac would be part of the connector. A light on the Linksys would be on the front panel. Confirm this by temporarily disconnecting the ethernet wire. That light will extinguish.

From your description, that connection is probably fine. But more important is an Ethernet wire from Linksys to Surfboard. What does that light report when problems exist?

I believe that the modem is working fine, as I can wire directly to it and get online. All the lights on the modedm light and are solid. When I connect the iMac directly to the modem's port, I get a flashing green light that I am told signifies connection to a PC. When I connect it to the Linksys, the same light flashes orance, whch I was told by a Comcast ech signifies connection to a router. Indeed, when the setup is working, that's what it does. But when the setup isn't working, that light, and all lights on the modem and router, look the same.

That's level one. Now for higher level protocols. You don't describe how the link level is configured. From Safari, enter the address of 192.168.1.1. That should log into either a server inside the Linksys or a server inside the Surfboard. Learn if you can talk to either or both computer. And how IP addresses are being assigned (leased).

When I enter the 192 address, I access the router's setup. The leasing is DHCP or something- I am not at the iMac, but I don't know what it means anyway. I am able to set the router up, but I do not know what the correct setup is for my situation.

These tests are best done when things are working. Then later, if things fail, then you know what 'not working' looks like. Not just for you. Learning this simple test also best advise for others.

I'm here to learn! However, all the lights look the same whether it's working or not. And I reset the router the same way each time, and then it works, until it doesn't.

A better reply would exist had you provided critical facts. Such as what you configure in the Linksys. And what configurations are in the Surfboard.

Please tell me what the critical facts are, and I will report them. I don't know wwhich they are. I enabled MAC cloning. I use WPA and AES. There are a LOT of settings that I don't change out of ignorance.

Also try connecting iMac directly to the Surfboard. Enter the 192.168.1.1 address or what even address would apply to learn what is or is not observed.

Haven't tried this, but will.

Your problems are typically not environmental. But the number of possibilities is enormous - maybe as many as 100 different things might be 'fixed'. A better solution first defines a problem by learning what exists before fixing anything. First learn what you have when things work (ie lights for each ethernet connection). Then repeat those inspections when a failure happens. Also report how the Linksys and Surfboard are configured. The iMac and Safari talking to 192.168.1.1 (or whatever address is configured) will go a long way to identifying which of maybe 50+ items is problematic.

Problematic power anomalies happen maybe once every seven years. Would not cause those three hickups. A typical transient may damage grossly undersized protection in an APC UPS. But would be too tiny to overwhelm superior protection already inside the Surfboard, Linksys, and iMac. That most expensive recommendation was based only in advertising generated myths. Will do nothing for your problem.

My reply is embedded in the quote above. Thanks!

Al

Have not tried to look at the modem via web browser, as it seems to work fine when I plug the Imac directly into it Will take a look.
O'rings that were completely defective also worked on many shuttle launches. Normal is for something that has defects to still work sometimes. Just because it works says little. Just as important is why it is working.

So, step back and first learn what you have/had. Connect the old Comcast modem to the iMac. sfx2000 has probably provided the address for those routers (that I said might be 192.168.1.1). Now go to every page in that server (also called the configuration page or diagnostics). Record every number and configuration. Only then can you start to configure the Surfboard properly.

Modem are simple to setup. Hard part is to know, for example, what must be configured to/for.

Better modems also have another number critical to identifying a problem - signal strength in dBs. The Comcast modem will have no signal because you are only collecting facts via the iMac; not connected to Comcast's cable. Worse, many Comcast modems never bother to report that important number. So just get numbers that are input for configuration. But later look for those important dB numbers in the Surfboard.

You said your iMac would connect to the internet when connected directly to the Surfboard. Still get that Comcast configuration information and what you have configured the Surfboard to so that others with better knowledge can provide assistance. Something that works most of the time can be completely defective – a major mistake that many only learn from experience.

Your previous post implied a problem only between Linksys and Surfboard configuration or connections. So those configuration numbers and indicator light behavior is important as discussed previously; both when things are working and when failure happens.

Finally, a power off does everything in a first one tenth second. Ignore popular myths about leaving it off for five minutes. That much time does not change anything.

Last edited:
My reply is embedded in the quote above. Thanks!
Embedding all those replies makes reading difficult. Easiest is to put every paragraph in one separate reply.

Now background. MAC cloning might be in the Surfboard and not in the Linksys. Everything has an IP address (ie 192.168.1.1) and a MAC address (ie 20:53:32:09:0F:53). Every internet device has its own unique MAC address. Early Comcast modems required you to tell the internet the MAC address of the original modem (ie MAC address of the Comcast modem). Much like legalized fraud. The Surfboard is 'cloned' to have a same MAC address. I am told cloning is no longer necessary. Doing it anyway is not a problem.

DHCP - every internet device needs an IP address. So it asks a router's DHCP server to provide (lease) an address. For example, iMac may get 192.168.1.45 when connected to the Linksys. And might be assigned 192.168.100.7 when connected to the Surfboard.

Problems are created if an Internet device is set to a fixed address. The DHCP server does not know something has taken an address that only the DHCP server owns. So two devices (ie iMac and iPad) might get the same address if one is assigned statically. A failure that occurs rarely and repeatedly.

Best is to setup every device to ask for an IP address from the DHCP server. However some devices (ie Printer Servers) might need a fixed (static) address for other reasons. A DHCP server is told by you to only lease fewer addresses - any but some addresses reserved for 'static' devices.

This describes why something that is working just fine suddenly stops working. The example demonstrates that 'why' something is working is also important so that it keeps working properly.

Expected is that you don't even know half of the configuration setup. Providing everything you have is how future failures are averted. And how you learn from the experience.

Now, an orange light usually means failure. Generally, a good connection with no data is green. A flashing green light means data through a good connection. But in every case, read the manufacturer's operator manual to know what each light, behavior, and color reports.

Last edited:
FWIW - consider that it may not be fully compatible with Comcast... the 6120 is a DOCSIS 3.0 device, and it may have interop issues if the CMTS head-end hasn't been upgraded...

if you google "comcast motorola 6120" you'll find many comments about Comcast and this device on Amazon and Newegg...

Stop using MAC address clone on the router, let it use it's own MAC address, now just unplug the modem for a minute or two, plug it in and now the modem will only use the original MAC of the router to authenticate a connection. If you need to plug any other device directly to the modem, you will need to reset the modem each time so it can learn it's MAC.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!