What's new

Non wireless router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RLD

Occasional Visitor
Hi all, so I’m redesigning my network and running some Ethernet cable throughout the house. I have my fiber coming in to the ONT and it originally went to an 8 port Linksys wireless router.

What I’m going to be doing is hard wiring a couple WiFi access points in the areas of the house that need WiFi. The AP’s and hard wired connections are going to a 2.5g unmanaged switch. However I’m wonder what is the best device to put between the ONT and the switch.

Since the WiFi is coming for the AP’s I don’t want to buy some expensive 2.5g lan WiFi router to connect the ONT to just to disable the WiFi. However I haven’t found a decently priced no wifi 2.5g lan/wan router that has the latest hardware and features that seem to only come with the latest WiFi routers.

Anyone have a similar setup?

Hi all, so I’m redesigning my network and running some Ethernet cable throughout the house. I have my fiber coming in to the ONT and it originally went to an 8 port Linksys wireless router.

What I’m going to be doing is hard wiring a couple WiFi access points in the areas of the house that need WiFi. The AP’s and hard wired connections are going to a 2.5g unmanaged switch. However I’m wonder what is the best device to put between the ONT and the switch.

Since the WiFi is coming for the AP’s I don’t want to buy some expensive 2.5g lan WiFi router to connect the ONT to just to disable the WiFi. However I haven’t found a decently priced no wifi 2.5g lan/wan router that has the latest hardware and features that seem to only come with the latest WiFi routers.

Anyone have a similar setup?
The issue is the 2.5 Gbps LAN/WAN, as GL.inet has this thing, with one 2.5 Gbps port...

It's the closest I've seen as a fully featured solution for your needs.

However, if you don't mind a bit of DIY there might be some options for you out there.

In as much as BananaPi has a so so reputation, their board has an SoC that's fully supported by OpenWRT at this point.

Then there's of course a wide range of Intel powered boxes that come with two or more 2.5 Gbps ports as well.
Serve the Home has a bunch of reviews of those.

Last edited:
So do most people just use a wireless router and either disable the WiFi or integrate it into the AP mesh if they have them.

@TheLostSwede I have a FriendlyElec NanoPc-T6 running 24/7, but not as a router. While it's stable now, I don't think I trust the FriendlyElec Images enough to run it as a router!
Tip for our OP, you'll often see wireless consumer-grade routers marketed as hardware firewalls!

@TheLostSwede I have a FriendlyElec NanoPc-T6 running 24/7, but not as a router. While it's stable now, I don't think I trust the FriendlyElec Images enough to run it as a router!
Tip for our OP, you'll often see wireless consumer-grade routers marketed as hardware firewalls!
I may end up buying a wireless router as that’s the easiest setup and what I’m familiar with. I just needed one with at least a 2.5g wan and lan and I didn’t want the WiFi to interfere with the AP’s. And while I hate this word it I wanted the hardware to be somewhat “future proof” I know I’m paying for mostly the WiFi that I didn’t care about. That’s what brought me to ask all this. But it might just be the least headache option.

Run two (or more) Ethernet cables to each room that may be used by a centrally located router (with the hope/idea that you will only need one)

Use a non-managed switch to connect your ONT to one of these runs and to the main router that is as centrally located as possible.

Use another switch to connect the second run to the rest of the cable runs you have (so that each room/area has wired capabilities).

Last edited:
Pfsense for a router with multiple wireless Aps. You can use a 2.5 Intel NIC if you want but 10 gig is what I think works well. Three or four 1 gig APs can easily max out a 2.5 gig WAN connection.

I had some 2.5 gig Cisco wireless APs at home. I cannot really see a difference in 1 and 2.5 gig wireless APs using them at home. I think you need a bigger load for 2.5 gig wireless APs than home.

Pfsense for a router with multiple wireless Aps. You can use a 2.5 Intel NIC if you want but 10 gig is what I think works well. Three or four 1 gig APs can easily max out a 2.5 gig WAN connection.

I had some 2.5 gig Cisco wireless APs at home. I cannot really see a difference in 1 and 2.5 gig wireless APs using them at home. I think you need a bigger load for 2.5 gig wireless APs than home.
Most the wireless devices in the house can’t even do 1gig, only a cple new iPhone even have WiFi 6E. Tired of my daughter complaining of horrible WiFi in her room. So ran enet from POE switch to attic and put an AP on her ceiling. All mesh AP’s have wired back hauls. Ran ethernet jacks for things like Apple TV 4K, PS5 that sort of stuff. The Synology NAS and my personal desktop can do 2.5 (may add 10gbe later) the old Linksys 8 port (1gbe ports) is between the ONT and the switch currently as I’ve been upgrading each component. This doesn’t effect the LAN speeds since there all on the 2.5gbe switch but I’m upping my fiber from 1gig to 2gig so that Linksys needed replaced.

the easiest setup

Perhaps something like this?
2x 2.5GbE ports, 4x Gigabit ports, Multi-WAN, VLAN capable, VPN servers/clients, etc.

It's an Omada SND Integrated model, but has stand-alone configuration with own WebUI.
Interface emulator online here:

It's more user friendly, almost consumer-like* if you don't go deeper in business features.
pfSense/OPNsense will be very steep learning curve for you based on information provided.

* - don't expect gaming features and parental controls on a business class router though.

Last edited:
Most the wireless devices in the house can’t even do 1gig, only a cple new iPhone even have WiFi 6E. Tired of my daughter complaining of horrible WiFi in her room. So ran enet from POE switch to attic and put an AP on her ceiling. All mesh AP’s have wired back hauls. Ran ethernet jacks for things like Apple TV 4K, PS5 that sort of stuff. The Synology NAS and my personal desktop can do 2.5 (may add 10gbe later) the old Linksys 8 port (1gbe ports) is between the ONT and the switch currently as I’ve been upgrading each component. This doesn’t effect the LAN speeds since there all on the 2.5gbe switch but I’m upping my fiber from 1gig to 2gig so that Linksys needed replaced.
The WAN should be for the aggerate of the internet network load not a test.