What's new

nslookup returns the original device name

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mikicho

New Around Here
I set up names for my devices in the "Network Map", but when I do nslookup 192.168.50.136 192.168.50.1 I get the real device name.
How do I instruct my Asus router to display the device names that I have configured?
Model: RT-AX58U
Firmware version: 3.0.0.4.388_24762

names for my devices in the "Network Map"
These names are not related to DNS records.
when I do nslookup 192.168.50.136 192.168.50.1 I get the real device name
This is normal
NSLOOKUP does not output the real name
NSLOOKUP does not output the name from the ASUS Network map
NSLOOKUP outputs an A-type DNS record in local DNS registry (on router)

The A-type record is made by the local computer (if it wants to) in order to register itself in local DNS registry
1727546796808.png

But yes, the name for DNS registration is the real name of the computer
1727547301427.png

To change the name in the DNS registry, you need to rename the computer

Thanks for the detailed answer!
I want to manage all the device names in the router instead of changing them on each device.
Is ASUS able to do this as a DHCP server?

Client name in Network Map is unrelated. You can have Desktop PC1 as client name with dpc1 as host name. You can change the client name after, the host name will remain the same to whatever was set in DHCP server.

Oh I see..
This process is a bit cumbersome because I have to manually set the IP and enter the name twice. However, it's not a major issue.
Thanks!

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!