What's new

Odd Home Comcast / Asus issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CraigG

New Around Here
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone could provide some insight into an odd issue I have been having with my Asus AC-66U router (latest firmware) and Motorola SB6141 modem.

Any time I restart the router, be it doing a power cycle or using the reboot command via its interface it'll no longer be able to connect to the internet when it restarts - any any web page i'll try and view will give me an Asus error message page . No settings are lost, it still retains all SSID info and such. Modem will still be connected and working perfectly.

The only work around I have found is that anytime this happens (everytime the router needs to be restarted or loses power) is to run the Asus set up wizard - take 2-3 minutes and always works but is not ideal.

Any assistance with this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone could provide some insight into an odd issue I have been having with my Asus AC-66U router (latest firmware) and Motorola SB6141 modem.

Any time I restart the router, be it doing a power cycle or using the reboot command via its interface it'll no longer be able to connect to the internet. No settings are lost, it still retains all SSID info and such. Modem will still be connected and working perfectly.

The only work around I have found is that anytime this happens (everytime the router needs to be restarted or loses power) is to run the Asus set up wizard - take 2-3 minutes and always works but is not ideal.

Any assistance with this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Or you can power cycle the modem?

For manual restarts yes, how ever for say recovering from a power outage and such it would be ideal to have everything start up as it should....

I notice this amongst routers. Some does it, some does not.

For manual restarts yes, how ever for say recovering from a power outage and such it would be ideal to have everything start up as it should....

Take a look at your system log when this happens and post the contents here if you wish. It should tell you whats going on. First thing I would do is do a full reset on your cable modem. It may be struggling to pull a WAN IP.

I was using that exact router/modem combo myself until recently (upgraded to a RT-AC87U) and would see this issue from time to time. It isn't the fault of the router, but of the modem (although it's a bit of a "chicken-egg" argument and could go either way). The modem is not giving out an address to the router via DHCP after the router is restarted. Your workaround works because you are forcing the modem to give out an address by forcibly renewing the DHCP lease.

Here are a couple of quicker ways to accomplish what you are doing by running through the Setup Wizard:

1) Reboot the cable modem - either through the modem's GUI or by unplugging and replugging power. When it comes back up, it will give out an address to your router.
2) Turn off the Internet Connection in the router via the interface on the Internet Status portion of the Network Map page of the router's GUI and then turn it back on immediately. This is the only way I know to renew the DHCP lease on the WAN. There is probably a way to accomplish this via command line, as well, but I do not know it.

One other thing you can try is to "Reset All Defaults" in your cable modem via the Configuration page of its GUI and then reboot it. Once it comes back up, you may not experience this problem as often (or at all) when rebooting your router. It may also make no difference, but there is no harm in trying it.

Set DHCP mode to "Normal" (it defaults to Aggressive). Some cable providers don't like aggressive mode.