What's new

OpenVPN as VPN Client - AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MediaMan09

Regular Contributor
Hi First post in the ASUS area, first ASUS router and pre-Merlin.

Hopefully someone can clarify this for me:

I am reading the instructions from my VPN service provider on how to set up OpenVPN on an ASUS router (I simply want to access the internet, thought any device on my home network, with a masked IP, using VPN on the router). Instructions are pretty clear and reference the AC68U (just bought one- still sealed in the box).

HOWEVER .... looking at the AC68U manual, there are no VPN Client options (like I see on the N66U screenshot in the instruction). There are only VPN Server options on the AC68U , which appear to be the opposite of what I want. If I am understanding this, the VPN server settings relates to how to access my home network from another location. Not interested in that at all.

At first I thought that mystery was that you need to have Merlin, but even the Merlin site (http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/screenshots) says:

"While Asus has now integrated the OpenVPN server and client support into the official firmware, the Asuswrt-Merlin implementation retains some additional flexibility, such as the ability to configure two separate server or client instances."

So is it just that the ASUS posted manual is out of date, and the latest stock firmware actually DOES have menu items for VPN Client (or OpenVPN client) ???

I will no doubt flash over to Merlin from factory ASUS firmware, but just wanted to be clearer on my baseline.

Many thanks.

of course the AC68 has two openvpn clients with merlin firmware :)

And of course the manual is out of date. :)

AC68P here using Merilins latest firmware, OpenVPN working great however be prepared for something like a 60 -70 % drop in download speeds, I believe this is normal. But when I have the VPN enabled through the router, I do a DNS leak test and all reported devices are indeed secured via the VPN.

My original post was to first ensure it had the capability before I bought it:) .

Yes, now have it setup, and its as you described - working great except for the anticipated speed issue ( being discussed here : http://www.snbforums.com/threads/openvpn-speed-issue.26458/#post-198037

Related question - Re Client 1/Client 2, I was playing with that as well. I was surprised at one point that it accepted both being on at the same time, and both indicating 'Running" in the VPN status tab . When that happens I assume only one Client is actually active (the one with the details showing on the status page). Then again I may be misunderstanding the concept.

As a suggestion for a future f/w revision , it would be nice to have a Client1/Client 2 toggle button/swtich - ie switch between the two and apply ...as opposed to now where you need to disable one, apply, and enable the other, and apply.