What's new

OpenVPN Client + HMA Server + N66U router = Blah

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdikland

Regular Contributor
Has anyone able to achieve any decent download speeds with an OpenVPN Client configuration on an Asus router with either the latest Asus or Merlin FW? In particularly, connected to provider such as Hide My butt. The reason I include the latter is because I am suspicious the problems (5-8 Mbps dl on a 80Mbps line) I experienced are not related to the router setup nor the FW I used. I have used the same setup except the server was that of a friend and received near perfect results. Granted, this server was very near by, however, the results were 10 X better than what I achieved with the paid provider. Surely, 200 mile distance between my friends network and the paid provider cannot result in such drastic difference in performance.

My questions to you are:
Is it normal to see download speeds reduced to 10 % of normal speeds when setup as a OpenVPN client?
If not, what provider do you use? what is your router setup???

BTW1: Windows7 OpenVPN client setup with same provider produced identical dismal results.
BTW2: N66U L2TP setup with same provider produced near "perfect" results.(55-72 Mbps DL)

Last edited:
I have never had great throughput when using HMA.

As an alternative try Astrill. They have a great application that self installs on ASUS routers running Merlin's firmware. It allows you to route traffic based on various conditions. Using OpenVPN I have been able to get up to 40 Mbps downloads on my 75/35 connection. Astrill also works well on my Iphones, tablets and a free standing client on a laptop.

With StrongVPN I have been able to get speeds of 70 Mbps, but recently the speed has fallen off and when you contact their customer service chat to see if there is a problem they can take care of they make the cable company's CSRs and support personnel look good.

In summary there are significant differences in the bandwidth throughput you will get based on the VPN provider and the distance to their nearest server.

:(Not a good start with Astril I am afraid. Try to signup for a 7 day free trial and all I get is "It appears you are trying to signup through a proxy, VPN, public computer or one of the unallowed countries." . None of the conditions is true.

:(Not a good start with Astril I am afraid. Try to signup for a 7 day free trial and all I get is "It appears you are trying to sign up through a proxy, VPN, public computer or one of the unallowed countries." . None of the conditions is true.

Are you sure you aren't trying to sign up while connected to HMA or have an IP assigned by them? Be sure your public IP is the one assigned by your local ISP and that the time on your computer matches the time where your ISP is geographically located.

Most if not all VPN suppliers want to know who you are so if you connect while using a VPN and/or proxy they block your sign up.

The marketing hype for VPN providers makes it sound like you can be anonymous on the web but you can't be anonymous with most legit VPN providers.

Nope. On a different PC connected to a different router.:confused:
No matter. Tried ExpressVPN and had even worst results. :eek: