What's new

OpenVPN Server 1 - Running while VPN Server disabled?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

beiley

Occasional Visitor
I have the AC68U with Merlin 40-alpha4 firmware. I don't use VPN, so want to make sure it is disabled for security purposes. However, when I look at VPN / VPN Status it displays:

OpenVPN Server 1 - Running

If I look under VPN / VPN Server / Enable VPN Server, it is set to OFF.

Why does the status show OpenVPN Server 1 as running if the server is OFF?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something...?

I'm interested in knowing too I flashed from Asus official firmware .4561 to Merlin 374.40 noticed that VPN server was running by default so I turned it off. Doesn't running OpenVPN use more resources/RAM then PPTP VPN or doesn't matter?

Did you do a factory reset after installing/upgrading of firmware?

I remembered that I experienced the same problem quite sometime earlier, while I was upgrading an earlier version of firmware. What I did was to reset everything to default and reboot the router, then everything is back to normal.

Of course by doing this you have to manually reconfigure everything again.

Did you do a factory reset after installing/upgrading of firmware?

I remembered that I experienced the same problem quite sometime earlier, while I was upgrading an earlier version of firmware. What I did was to reset everything to default and reboot the router, then everything is back to normal.

Of course by doing this you have to manually reconfigure everything again.

No, I didn't... I installed the 40-alpha4 firmware from the ASUS official 4561. I didn't think a factory reset was required, based on my reading of the included README. If you look at your VPN Status when VPN server is disabled, does it show everything stopped?

Yeah, under "VPN - Status", it shows all servers are stopped.

Okay, thanks. I did a factor reset, and put back in all my settings. That did clear up the problem, so all VPN status lines show "Stopped" now. Thanks!