What's new

Optimum Online Boost Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OldPete

New Around Here
I would like to replace an antiquated network infrastructure now that I have Optimum Boost. (ISP w/ 25m DL and 5m UP)

To replace my old SMC Barricade:

Linksys BEFSX41 Instant Broadband EtherFast 10/100 Mbps 4-Port Cable/DSL Router

To replace the old 10mps hubs:

Netgear - GS605 - 5-Port Gigabit Network Switch (Recertified) (N100-1625)

Does anyone see a problem with this?Usage:

1 PC that I access remotely from time to time (this is the host).
1 Mac that wife uses for casual web browsing and email
1 Slingbox that I stream (use very often).

Thanks for the help,
Pete

The BEFSX41 is pretty long in the tooth. V1 (the original revision) measured only 17 Mbps downlink, not fast enough for your 25 Mbps service. I don't know if the V2 got a speed boost.

Use the router charts to find routers with high enough speed to support your needs.

Thank you for the reply!! I've been reading up on the routers on the chart! That chart is WONDERFUL!

I'm wondering a few things.

Is it true that even if you don't want or need wireless, it is better to get a wireless and turn the wireless feature off? It doesn't make any sense. I would rather have a wired only... but it seems I may have to go with wireless...

With that being said, I've been reading all the pros and cons for each one... what would you say is the most reliable one (either wired (prefer) or wireless) in the bunch. Say around $100-$129 (or less if that is how it works out)?

Thank you for the help. I plan on using this along with Netgear GS108 and a few GS605. I would hate to have a bottleneck before it even gets to the switch!

Thank you again,
Pete

Well... the Linksys BEFSX41 v2.1 w/ most recent firmware is a piece of junk...

:(

Can anyone make any recommendations as to:

D-Link DIR-825 Xtreme N Dual Band Gigabit Router. I plan on turning off the wireless... so I'm not sure if I should move this to the wireless forum or not.

Thanks,
Pete

Consumer networking manufacturers make more wireless routers than wired, simply due to demand. So for widest selection, you shouldn't limit yourself to wired-only routers.

Re the DIR-825, if you are going to turn off wireless, there is no reason to buy a dual-band N router. An 802.11g router will do just fine.

I can't speak to reliability except that I had a D-Link DIR-655 A4 wireless section die on me after about a month. On the other hand, I've had a D-Link DGL-4300 work just fine for years...

Get this! I just took an OLD OLD OLD WRT54G out of my networking bin... (so old, it doesn't even have a v.# after the model!) -- and it is giving me 20.4Mb/s!!!!!

How about that? Is there anything out there that will give me better? Or should I leave it alone?

I'm willing to upgrade to get closer to that 26Mb/s I saw with only the gigabit switch in place.

Thanks for the advice so far!! :) (You've been spot on, I wish I knew about this place BEFORE I ordered the BEFSX41 POS!)

Seems a bit high for an original WRT54G. But that's what you're getting fine.

If you have looked at the Router Charts, you know there are plenty of routers that are faster than 20 Mbps.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!