What's new

Ordered a TP-Link Archer C8 but received a Brick.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Eldram

Regular Contributor
Out of the box, the Archer C81750 Wireless Router would not work. I tried hitting the factory reset button, no response. I tried calling their so-called 24/4 support line multiple times over 2 hours and was unable to connect to someone; the line kept ringing until an automated response came up saying "your party is unresponsive this call will now disconnect". I then sent an e-mail inquiry. It's been hours and still, radio silence.

I ordered the device through Amazon and was already charged for it. What are my options at this point? Should I send it back for a refund and give them a piece of my mind in the product review? Or give them the benefit of the doubt and wait for them to maybe e-mail me back? I don't want to have to pay for a brick and I'm really disappointed. I've bought TP-Link products before and have had no issues. If it's a one-time thing and I got a faulty device I can forgive and forget but I wanted to know what my next move should be. Funny enough, the old router this C8 was supposed to replace is a Linksys WRT54G I bought in 2009 and it is still working flawlessly; the only issue being I have more "n" devices now and the 54G limits my wireless speeds. I guess it's true what they say, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Or replace it, in my case.

Please help, and thanks!

Amazon is pretty good about returns... send it back, and they'll either refund, or send out another one...

Maybe you just got a dud unit - happens from time to time - we call it FUFO - Fail Upon First Use

I've had a bad shipment just recently from Amazon - an 8GB memory kit from Crucial - they're a good vendor, and I bought 4 kits, one of the DIMM's was bad - contacted Amazon, and they're drop shipping advance exchange, a replacement kit, and I've got a month to send the previous kit back... totally painless...

Didn't have to deal with Crucial (even though they're pretty awesome as well). just dealt with Amazon as a vendor.

Even when Amazon is being the facilitator, e.g. Product Offered by "someone else" and not-fulfilled by Amazon directly, they've got your back...

It's really simple. Go to your account on Amazon and follow the instructions. You'll be given the option of return/refund or return/replace. And replacements usually go out next day delivery. They email you a UPS prepaid label and it won't cost you a thing.

No need to rant about the dud in the reviews... Stuff happens and as long as it's made right, no problem. Rants about one time problems aren't helpful reviews.

Amazon has got to be one of the best possible on-line stores around.

It's really simple. Go to your account on Amazon and follow the instructions. You'll be given the option of return/refund or return/replace. And replacements usually go out next day delivery. They email you a UPS prepaid label and it won't cost you a thing.

No need to rant about the dud in the reviews... Stuff happens and as long as it's made right, no problem. Rants about one time problems aren't helpful reviews.

Amazon has got to be one of the best possible on-line stores around.

Duly noted. Thanks; I'm glad I asked you guys beforehand. Truth be told I have been very impressed with TP-Link products before so this was definitely not typical of them. I'll ask for a replacement and update on what happens afterwards.

It sucks that it happened to you, but when you sell thousands and thousands of products, one is going to be a dud from time to time. Jostled too much in shipping, bad solder where the connection failed on the 2nd startup (I assume that they at least do a power on test for each router for QA before packaging and shipping), etc.

Amazon is generally great in my experience. That said, I question their warehouse QA a little, though I doubt they do much/any, despite "inspected" stickers. Got 2 Seagate 3TB drives through them when dirt cheap a few weeks ago. 1 3TB drive showed up, 1 500GB laptop drive showed up in a little baggie with the model number of the 3TB drive slapped on the baggie.

Yeah...no.

Returned for refund, but the drive price had jumped $12 in the 3 days. Amazon at least credited my the difference. Next drive that showed up, was DOA (machine wouldn't POST with the drive connected). That one went back and then the next drive worked fine (and the price had dropped $7 from the "high" price).

Annoying, but Amazon didn't hassle me any.

Just sent it back for a return/refund. There was no option to ask for a replacement
It sucks that it happened to you, but when you sell thousands and thousands of products, one is going to be a dud from time to time. Jostled too much in shipping, bad solder where the connection failed on the 2nd startup (I assume that they at least do a power on test for each router for QA before packaging and shipping), etc.

Amazon is generally great in my experience. That said, I question their warehouse QA a little, though I doubt they do much/any, despite "inspected" stickers. Got 2 Seagate 3TB drives through them when dirt cheap a few weeks ago. 1 3TB drive showed up, 1 500GB laptop drive showed up in a little baggie with the model number of the 3TB drive slapped on the baggie.

Yeah...no.

Returned for refund, but the drive price had jumped $12 in the 3 days. Amazon at least credited my the difference. Next drive that showed up, was DOA (machine wouldn't POST with the drive connected). That one went back and then the next drive worked fine (and the price had dropped $7 from the "high" price).

Annoying, but Amazon didn't hassle me any.

Gotcha. Well I sent it back and Amazon will give me a full refund. The million dollar question now is, do I try again with the same item from Amazon or should I go with a different provider? I'm leaning towards Amazon just because of how painless it was to get my money back, but then again I don't want to get another dud, haha.

Well, without turning this into a Amazon lovefest, they do have one or the more frictionless return policies...

Brick and Mortar stores - Costco is one that many folks miss when shopping around - and you can order online and have it drop shipped to the store for pickup..

Now I'm wondering if I should go for the C9 instead? It's only $10 more on Amazon...

I upgraded from the WRT54GL to a Asus RT-AC56 recently and can't be happier. If you're thinking of other options.

Unless you have "TurboQAM" clients, no. Based on SMB's testing, it looks like the difference in wireless and routing performance between the C8 and C9 is more or less a wash. Though I think the C9 does have a little bit better storage performance if you are going to use router attached storage.

Unless you have "TurboQAM" clients, no. Based on SMB's testing, it looks like the difference in wireless and routing performance between the C8 and C9 is more or less a wash. Though I think the C9 does have a little bit better storage performance if you are going to use router attached storage.

Nope, no interest in going for any kind of attached storage so I guess I will stick with the C8.

*UPDATE*

Well, I went the Amazon route again and bought a new Archer C8 and this one works! Super easy setup, and impressive range; with the old WRT54G I only got about 3-2 bars in my bedroom on my laptop that was only 20 feet or so away; with this I get full bars! I also downloaded a 4.4GB movie in 15 minutes, wirelessly, on my bedroom's desktop PC over the wirless N 5GHz band. Holy crap. This thing is miles beyond my old router. Thanks for everyone's advice!

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!