What's new

Outdoor antenna setup help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lefebvres090428

New Around Here
Hello all,
My current system runs 3 Rt68u routers. 1 is the main router and handles all the assigning of addresses etc and the other 2 are running in ap mode and are connected via Ethernet cable to the main router. Currently they broadcast different ssid (I tried the same but found it better if I was able to manually connect to the closest router if needed. Roaming did not always work and just found this works better) everything works great in the house. I now want to extend my signal to our pool house. This is open line of sight about 200-300 ft away depending on where I mount the antenna.

I would like some ideas on how to best get signal to the pool house? My thoughts are 1) to run an outdoor antenna from one of the antenna ports on the main router. (Longer cable run (60ft) from antenna to router but shorter distance antenna to pool house (200ft)
2) run an outdoor antenna from one of the antenna ports on an ap router. ( this would be a shorter cable run ( 20ft) from ap to antenna but a longer distance from antenna to pool house (300ft)

Is there any advantages/disadvantages to either option? How about antenna recommendations? Do I need a receiver antenna on pool house to aid in sending a signal back to the house from our devices? (Would purchasing 2 more 68u and running one in media bridge mode and then mounting the other next to it and running that one in ap mode with a Ethernet cable connected between them work to give a fast solid signal and would only be relying on devices to send signal to the ap that is really close and the media bridge would do the long range sending back to the outdoor antenna that is hooked to the router)

Would like to run a small tv and would do some light streaming, run phones and echo dot for music.

I have managed to get a decent working system in the house and really don’t want to mess too much with it and want the simplest way to just add outdoor coverage without running an Ethernet cable because there is really no good way to bury the cable since my drive way is in between.
Thank you in advance for some suggestions!

Last edited:
Why you think you need an antenna in first place? Outdoor APs with high gain antennas are available.

Your routers are close to e-waste state, by the way. This hardware is >12 years old, perhaps time for something better.

Why you think you need an antenna in first place? Outdoor APs with high gain antennas are available.
So with this setup I could mount the ap outside and the signal would be adequate at the distance I am dealing with? I will definitely look into this? Does high gain also aid in receiving signals from other devices that are a long distance away?
Your routers are close to e-waste state, by the way. This hardware is >12 years old, perhaps time for something better.
I do realize they are old…. I have had them the entire time. Simply keeping them because I don't want to invest in something different when all works as I require currently except adding signal outdoors. Seems if I start changing things I could cause trouble where currently I have no trouble.

Does high gain also aid in receiving signals from other devices that are a long distance away?

Yes, high gain antenna works both ways. Your success depends on multiple factors though, including country you live in, obstacles, local Wi-Fi environment, RF noise, client devices, etc. At longer distances you can rely mostly on 2.4GHz communication, 20MHz wide channel. This means low throughput.

Seems if I start changing things I could cause trouble where currently I have no trouble.

Your choice, but APs with different SSIDs and manual reconnecting is not what most people would like. This generation hardware started as draft 802.11ac and doesn't support many modern Wi-Fi technologies. Not sure if there is 802.11k/v/r to assist roaming. You just accepted the problem and live with it.

Yes, high gain antenna works both ways. Your success depends on multiple factors though, including country you live in, obstacles, local Wi-Fi environment, RF noise, client devices, etc. At longer distances you can rely mostly on 2.4GHz communication, 20MHz wide channel. This means low throughput.
Thank you! I think as far as outside concerns I am in a pretty good situation. Not too many other Wi-Fi signals as I am in a neighborhood but we all have 5 acre lots. My closest neighbors have Wi-Fi but indoor only. The sight path is unobstructed between the areas and the ap would be hardwired to the main router. USA is where I am located. When you say “low throughput” what does this mean?
Your choice, but APs with different SSIDs and manual reconnecting is not what most people would like. This generation hardware started as draft 802.11ac and doesn't support many modern Wi-Fi technologies. Not sure if there is 802.11k/v/r to assist roaming. You just accepted the problem and live with it.

You are not wrong when you say “live with it” I think it really is not a huge bother because my one ap can reach most of the common living areas where the signal is needed on phones, mobile devices. The other aps mainly are there to connect smart tv etc, stationary items. So rarely do I find myself needing to select another ap and if I do it is not a bother since I really only need to if I am looking for the fastest connection at that moment in that random use spot.

Long antenna cables can attenuate the signal so that you end up worse performance. For a long run, you'll need low-loss cable, which means it will be bigger diameter and harder to handle.
Outdoor bridges like @Tech9 suggests are a better solution.

The bandwidth will be enough to stream video to the TV there plus to provide Internet to mobile devices. This device has up to 27dBm power output or 500mW. For your application it may have to be adjusted to the distance needed, perhaps full power won't be needed.

The bandwidth will be enough to stream video to the TV there plus to provide Internet to mobile devices. This device has up to 27dBm power output or 500mW. For your application it may have to be adjusted to the distance needed, perhaps full power won't be needed.

That is exactly what I am looking to use it for. Thank you for the advice!

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!