What's new

PC refuses to pick up static IP from router!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kgdg

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,
I am about to pull my hair out!, I am trying to assign a static ip to my Desktop (server) PC connected to my Engenius ESR9850 router.
I went to router's admin page and assigned 192.168.1.2 to my server's ethernet MAC address. Clicked on Apply and that rebooted the router.

I then rebooted the server PC and when it came back up, it does not obtain the 192.168.1.2 IP address. It doesn't even get the default gateway, it is blank!

What am I doing wrong?
I don't want to set the static ip on the server itself, would rather do it on the router since the router supports it. There is a switch in between the router and the server. I don't think that should matter?

Thanks in advance,
Ketan

Oh and my router's DHCP range is 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200 and the router address (gateway) is 192.168.1.1

Last edited:
What you are trying to do is reserve an IP address in the DHCP server. So you need to assign an IP inside the DHCP server range.

192.168.1.2 is outside the DHCP server range. Change it to an IP between 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200. Most routers provide a table of DHCP leases and just let you change that IP to a reserved IP.

Thanks!
So this is not the same as static IP assignment, what we are doing then is DHCP reservation?
I tried what you suggested and changed the static IP to 192.168.1.112 (which is currently not assigned to anything and is inside the DHCP range), rebooted the router, rebooted the PC, but same result.
When i try to do ipconfig /renew, it gives me an error (after a long time):
Unable to contact the DHCP server.

Get rid of the DHCP reservation in the router and reboot it.

Then set the computer's adapter to Obtain IP adress automatically and run a repair / diagnose. Check that it gets an IP address.

Go back to the router and check that computer's address is in the router's assigned IP list.

NOW go to the reserved IP function and tell it to reserve the current IP.

Get rid of the DHCP reservation in the router and reboot it.

Then set the computer's adapter to Obtain IP adress automatically and run a repair / diagnose. Check that it gets an IP address.

Go back to the router and check that computer's address is in the router's assigned IP list.

NOW go to the reserved IP function and tell it to reserve the current IP.

Tim, thanks for your prompt replies....
Ok, that seems to work for my server PC, static IP I specified does NOT show up in the DHCP list, that is what I would expect since it is reserved now.
But, what's wierd is I tried the same method for another desktop, I specified a static IP for that PC, but I see that IP under DHCP list and static, is that supposed to happen? I thought since I am reserving it, it should not appear in DHCP list anymore....like it is not showing up in the DHCP list for the server PC?
Why the difference?

TIA,
Ketan

I don't know that a reserved IP should NOT show in the DHCP list. After all, the IP is still being issued by the DHCP server, so I would think it should show.

Could just be a glitch or router, ahem, "feature". For example, my NETGEAR WNDR3700v1 is very bad about properly showing DHCP leases.

If the clients are getting their reserved IP addresses, don't worry about what the router is showing you.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!