What's new

Permanently attached external HDD recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What OS's will be accessing this External?

Only 2Tb's can be seen readily with 32-bit OS's - if you have older computers trying to copy to or from, that 4Tb (any greater-than-2Tb) partition can present difficulties.

who still has 32 bit os's?

As per suggestins, I have decided to get a WD drive. But I was wondering what are the differences between the My Book and the Elements drives?

WD drives

Also WD drives are not perfect with USB3.0
I had to disable a power energy feature through a WD utility for their BIOS (very hidden into support pages) because it disconnected from my USB 3.0 PC hub during copy. Now its ok and also spins down with Merlin. (I am talking about WD essential portable 1TB.

Also I don't like WD anymore because if you open the enclosure you'll discover that USB interface is embedded on the HDD which has no more the SATA interface. So in a future you can't use that drive on a laptop or NAS or change the kind of enclosure's interface.