What's new

Ping Spikes with GT6 Mesh System

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

drg17

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,
I recently got a new GT6 mesh system and I have been getting random ping spikes when my node is communicating with my main router. I have no clue what could be causing the issue. I have tried chaning the control channel and that doesn't seem to do anything

If anyone could provide any insight or help, that would be greatly appreciated.

Here are screenshots of the ping spikes I've been having and my system logs

Thanks!

Attachments

• ping spike 2.png
    ping spike 2.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 12
  • sys log 2.png
    sys log 2.png
    701 KB · Views: 13
20ms isn't exactly a spike. This is perfectly normal as Wi-Fi is inherently unstable, anything can cause 20ms spike from interference, errar rate to simple network activities such as scans or processing lags etc.

If you want <2ms for every single ping, you'd be better off using a wired connection.

20ms isn't exactly a spike. This is perfectly normal as Wi-Fi is inherently unstable, anything can cause 20ms spike from interference, errar rate to simple network activities such as scans or processing lags etc.

If you want <2ms for every single ping, you'd be better off using a wired connection.
While 20-30 ms latency isn’t bad. Sometimes I will get spikes that range from 50-60 ms. Is that normal? Is there anything I can do about that?

While 20-30 ms latency isn’t bad. Sometimes I will get spikes that range from 50-60 ms. Is that normal? Is there anything I can do about that?
If you are in a mesh or access point network and the network scans for roaming alternatives, the ping can be as high as 100 ms [ref]. If you are being disconnected and reconnected, you may experience packet loss. If your neighbour starts heating up their milk in the microwave, your error rate will increase, leading to much slower processing, and so on...

You should never expect a Wi-Fi network to provide consistent ping. I have yet to see anyone ping their gateway 5000 times without a single spike unless they live alone in Antarctica.

20ms spikes aren't normal on the average home wifi network on two static non moving devices, several wifi features introduced on AC/AX can provoke them though when clients of varying tech age are mixed into things, or when a particular device saturates WLAN<>WAN communications.

20ms spikes aren't normal on the average home wifi network on two static non moving devices, several wifi features introduced on AC/AX can provoke them though when clients of varying tech age are mixed into things, or when a particular device saturates WLAN<>WAN communications.
Do you have any suggestions on how to fix it?