What's new

Pingtest.net results and the router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdysthe

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have a Asus RT-N66U router running the latest Merlin fw. My kids have been complaining about ping related issues when they play games so I ran the test on Pingtest.net. It there anything on the Asus router that could affect these results, or is that solely ISP related?

i think QoS can.

what do you kids play and when? could also be the gamingservers be under heavy load.

i think QoS can.

what do you kids play and when? could also be the gamingservers be under heavy load.

Mainly League of Legends and Starcraft these days. We've set up QoS for those two. It didn't seem to make much difference, but we haven't had it set up for very long. The kids come and yell at me when I do peer to peer downloading like Bittorrenting a Linux distro, so it's obvious that those things affect their gaming experience. What worried me a little was that the Pingtest.net results weren't that great, but before I yell at my ISP I would make sure I've done all I can on the router.

Mainly League of Legends and Starcraft these days. We've set up QoS for those two. It didn't seem to make much difference, but we haven't had it set up for very long. The kids come and yell at me when I do peer to peer downloading like Bittorrenting a Linux distro, so it's obvious that those things affect their gaming experience. What worried me a little was that the Pingtest.net results weren't that great, but before I yell at my ISP I would make sure I've done all I can on the router.

Run a traceroute to a remote server, just to ensure you're not having dropped packets or latency issues beyond your router.

the easiest way is test the connection without router if possible

AFAIK anything using bandwith will increase lantecy, even u didn't use all available bandwith and router QOS wont help much, i mean it can give priority to game connection but still the lantecy will still increase if you using your line bandwith

incase needed here server ip list for League of legends
https://support.leagueoflegends.com/entries/20749152-server-ip-addresses

if there something wrong with isp routing/connection (usually isp sometime change their routing and suddenly make connection lagging and such)
you can try gaming vpn, which usually help reduce lantecy few ms
beside of course contacting isp in first place

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!