What's new

Point me in the direction..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

petes67bird

Occasional Visitor
Hi Everyone-

This is my first post here. I have been lurking on these boards here for about 1 week, reading and soaking up so much information, that I am more confused then ever. I am a novice when it comes to networking. I am currently in the market to replace my WNR 3500L router which is having to be reset multiple times a day and seems to be lagging out my PS3 while I am hosting lobbies.

I currently have Comcast Extreme 50 internet and get speeds of 63.5/13.5Mbps with a 10ms ping on speedtest. I hook up my PS3 with a 100ft Cat 5e Ethernet cord as it is quite a distance away. My question is what would be the best router to get for my situation.

In my home, I only connect 1 laptop wirelessly, 1 pc wired and 1 PS3 via wired connection. I dont do anything special other than surf the web, check email and spend 5 hours nightly after work gaming on the PS3. My main concern is to get the best/fastest router that performs well with the PS3. The only reason I pay for the internet speeds is solely for PS3 gaming to be host of a lobby of 12-18 players. I have a Cisco DPC3000 modem if that makes a difference.

Modems I have looked at include the Asus rt n56u, the E3000, the wnr 3700, or possibly waiting for the Asus 66u to be released. Is there a router you would suggest, maybe the high end routers are overkill since I am only looking for wired PS3 performance and barely use the wireless. Thanks Peter

The Asus rt-n56u is currently at Frys.com for 129.99 with a 20 dollar mail in rebate. But only until 4-21-11. Please respond soon or I may be forced to just pull the trigger on that unit. Hoping its not overkill. Thanks

Can someone answer just one question for me. Would there be a difference in terms of wired performance between a PS3 and any type of router?

Bit the bullet and bought the RT-N56U from amazon for 129.99 w free shipping plus 19.99 for a 3 year squaretrade warranty. I figure that the 20 dollar rebate from Frys would be negated by tax and shipping so it wasnt worth it. Just went to amazon because the squaretrade warranty is cheaper and longer.

Sorry for the late post. The only difference you'll see in switch performance is between 10/100 and 10/100/1000 (Gigabit).