What's new

poor USB performance with .40

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

keratos

- Western Digital USB3 500GB HDD in FAT32 mode
- AC56U loaded with Merlin's .40 f/w. USB drive connected to USB3 port. 5GHz 80MHZ bandwidth. 2.4GHz 40MHz bandwidth.
- Sony Vaio VPCF11S1E with a decent broadcom 802.11n 2x2 with a link of 300mbps MSC15, 12 inches from the router.
- Xfering a 2GB data file from wifi to/from USB

LAN throughput writing to the disk from a wifi client is 14MBbs. Read spead is 25MBps

LAN throughput when wired is around 28MBps

I dont see the "USB interference" option in Merlin's f/w but it was there (and disabled) in the latest Asus f/w.

Seems a slow transfer in Merlin and the option to check/amend the USB interference has vanished

Rates are pretty much the same for 5GHz as they are for 2.4GHz - unsurprising as only 12" away from the router using 802.11n. connection. I'm wondering whether this isnt too bad for 802.11n which realistically will throughput at around 150Mbps (half the quoted link speed). 150Mbps = 18MBps roughly, which is what I'm seeing give or take a few MB/s and accouting for less than 150Mbps (interference / conjestion).

Have I answered my on question ?

Ideas?

Last edited:
- AC56U loaded with Merlin's .40 f/w. USB drive connected to USB3 port
- Sony Vaio VPCF11S1E with a decent broadcom 802.11n 2x2 with a link of 300mbps MSC15, 12 inches from the router.

LAN throughput writing to the disk from a wifi client is 9.1MBps. Read spead is 17MBps

I dont see the "USB interference" option in Merlin's f/w but it was there (and disabled) in the latest Asus f/w. Cant recall exactly but I do remember seeing a 15MBps write throughput at some point during the xfer

Seems a slow transfer in Merlin and the option to check/amend the USB interference has vanished

Ideas?

Upgrade to the latest .41 Beta, it is as stable as it gets and I assume close to being a final build.

The USB Interference option is located under "Wireless - Professional - Reducing USB 3.0 interference" make sure this is disabled as it will limit you to USB2 speeds.

Adamm mate, the "Reducing USB inteference" option is "not there" , as per my OP. It's "vanished". Was there in the Asus stock f/w?

I will try .41B tonight.

Is a factory-reset always required after a f/w flash and why?

Is a factory-reset always required after a f/w flash and why?
Not if you upgrade from .39 or .40

Read section Installation in included README-merlin.txt when d/loading firmware.

Last edited:
Got my numbers wrong...

- Western Digital Elements USB3(3Gbps) 500GB HDD in FAT32 mode
- AC56U loaded with Merlin's .40 f/w. USB drive connected to USB3 port. 5GHz 80MHZ bandwidth. 2.4GHz 40MHz bandwidth.

LAN throughput writing to the disk from a wifi client is 9MBbs. Read spead is around 15MBps

LAN throughput when wired is also around 14MBps

I've turned off the "USB interference" option

So 9MBps wifi, 14MBps wired. Both not very good and way off smallnetbuilders review on the forums

USB xfer rate is deristory - any ideas good folk?

LAN throughput writing to the disk from a wifi client is 14MBbs. Read spead is 25MBps

I dont see the "USB interference" option in Merlin's f/w but it was there (and disabled) in the latest Asus f/w.

Rates are pretty much the same for 5GHz as they are for 2.4GHz - unsurprising as only 12" away from the router using 802.11n. connection. I'm wondering whether this isnt too bad for 802.11n which realistically will throughput at around 150Mbps (half the quoted link speed). 150Mbps = 18MBps roughly, which is what I'm seeing give or take a few MB/s and accouting for less than 150Mbps (interference / conjestion).

Have I answered my on question ?

Ideas?

Yes, I think you've answered your own question.

When I use my RT-N66U with a Broadcom 2x2 wireless N adapter, I get about 10-13 MB/s write speed with my test platform (I don't actually use the USB port of N66U for testing wireless throughput).

So considering you only have N 2x2 (like me), I'd say your results are pretty good.

Edit: my results are a lot closer to 10 MB/s than they are 13 MB/s.....which is normal.....consistent with Thiggins lab testing for RT-N66U.
Edit2: I use NTSF

Last edited:
thanks guys.
I shall await the USB 802.11ac adapters and a AC66U , then perform some more "real world" testing