What's new

Possibility for porting AsusWrt Merlin firmware on Netgear R7800 X4S

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sachb

Hi folks, I would like to know if Merlin's Firmware can be ported for the Netgear Nighthawk X4S, the reason being there are many features and options missing on the stock Netgear firmware.

I've tried many third party firmware, but I still feel the Asus gui is the best and easy while being advanced in features.

This is what I've tried so far:

Netgear Stock: Best Performance but lacks basic features such as options to change the radio mode (N only etc)

Voxel Firmware: Slightly better GUI but performance on NAS transfers slowed down from 60 mb/sec to 25 mb/sec.

DD-WRT Firmware: So many features but can't get it working for my isp (PPPOE ). WAN always stays 0.0.0.0

Openwrt LEDE Firmware: So many features with working internet but link speed is always on 144 mbps no matter what I do and sometimes WIFI LEDS don't work.

I would like to try Merlin's firmware for R7800 X4s if he could make one.
Lastly, Even Repeater mode is missing on the NETGEAR firmware
Thanx

Hi folks, I would like to know if Merlin's Firmware can be ported for the Netgear Nighthawk X4S,
Seems unlikely as the hardware platform is completely different, Qualcomm vs. Broadcom. So you'd have to rewrite all the code from the ground up rather than just cross-compiling Merlin's code.

Plus, that would be illegal, as Asuswrt-Merlin contains numerous licensed products that can only be legally used on specific Asus devices.

Hi folks, I would like to know if Merlin's Firmware can be ported for the Netgear Nighthawk X4S, the reason being there are many features and options missing on the stock Netgear firmware.
Asus has only one device that’s very close to R7800 - it is BRT-AC828.
But its firmware is a piece of sh#t and gets tons of complains (asus is ‘amature’ in qualcomm).
AC828 is relatively new so maybe time will tell and they be able to cook something good later.

AC828

Well not at a similar price point. The R7800/X4S for price point/performance continues to be a clear winner.

Ok, so i will stay with the stock firmware until something cooks up. Stock firmware is stable and faster except that I won't be able to change the radio mode like Wifi N mode only.

I wish Dd wrt worked on my ISP, because it's the closest to what I want.

I also tried Asus as the repeater connected to nighthawk X4s but I'm unable to get valid ip when Asus is on repeater mode paired to R7800. 2.4ghz gets me ip, but 5 ghz doesn't get me valid ip when connected to Asus router on repeater mode.

I think i might have damaged the 5 ghz band when i boosted the tx levels on this AC 88U.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

It turns out that my Asus AC88U has been damaged. I was doing a nas transfer from my laptop and it suddenly rebooted. It also gets extremely hot.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk