What's new

Possible faulty Asus87u?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

redsrum_

New Around Here
Hello

I'm just after some advice as I'm really no expert when it comes to networking.

I've had an Asus 87u for about 3 months now. When I updated the latest ASUS firmware Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.9529) my router became quite unstable, it would just randomly start rebooting. So I installed the latest Merlin firmware about two weeks ago and it still rebooted so I did a factory reset and then everything was fine.

I've installed some CAT6 cable in my home and my friend has a device that tests the cable. When he did his initial test to see if every thing was okay he plugged it into port one on the router. The device would not pass the DHCP test, but worked perfectly on ports 3 - 4. I did have to move my router once (and then back again) it then then failed to turn on the 5G network and the internet light went showed blue and red, so it looked a bit pink. I had to do another factory reset to get it working again and I've had another couple of reboots since :(

The router is connected via a Draytek Vigor 130 and I'm still on ADSL2+ (i think, it's not fibre anyway!)

Does it sound like I have a dodgy router? Can anyone help or should I try exchange it?

Thanks for any help and if you need any more info let me know :)

Hey we got the same modems :)

Did you try to reinstall firmware and reset the router?

Hello

I'm just after some advice as I'm really no expert when it comes to networking.

I've had an Asus 87u for about 3 months now. When I updated the latest ASUS firmware Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.9529) my router became quite unstable, it would just randomly start rebooting. So I installed the latest Merlin firmware about two weeks ago and it still rebooted so I did a factory reset and then everything was fine.

I've installed some CAT6 cable in my home and my friend has a device that tests the cable. When he did his initial test to see if every thing was okay he plugged it into port one on the router. The device would not pass the DHCP test, but worked perfectly on ports 3 - 4. I did have to move my router once (and then back again) it then then failed to turn on the 5G network and the internet light went showed blue and red, so it looked a bit pink. I had to do another factory reset to get it working again and I've had another couple of reboots since :(

The router is connected via a Draytek Vigor 130 and I'm still on ADSL2+ (i think, it's not fibre anyway!)

Does it sound like I have a dodgy router? Can anyone help or should I try exchange it?

Thanks for any help and if you need any more info let me know :)
I have an 87U and it works perfect. when you put merlin did you instantly do factory reset and then cold boot the router?
cold boot meaning taking the power plug out from the router while the power button of the router is on so that you discharge the capacitors and then do a power on?
You may have a problem with your NVRAM. This will assure that you completely clean out the NVRAM because even rebooting the router may not completely clear the NVRAM
A factory reset and cold boot will fix that problem.
I would strongly suggest you do it this way. do not use a config file, put all the data in manually and then do a cold boot to the router once again.
if you have the same issues I would get an RMA from ASUS because it would seem you have a defective router.
Before I flashed to latest firmware I had my router up for 45 days without reboot or issues.
87U is very stable. My brother and my good friend both have the 87U without any issues.
If you have to send the router back make sure to flash it back to ASUS stock firmware.

Last edited:
After you do a factory reset as I suggested that you make sure you to turn off the modem for about 20 minutes by pulling its power from the outlet.
Let the modem drop its IP and reset itself from the ISP.
you can also try another modem.
you need to do some trouble shooting because at this point you cannot be sure which device is giving you the problem.
If you have a buddy that has internet maybe bring the router at their place and try it with their ISP and see if you get similar problems.

This is a already well known issue on Quantenna chip with RT-AC87U, theres alot more threads spread over this and other forums about it:

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac87u-5ghz-band-r-i-p.23183/
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/5ghz-network-not-turning-on-rt-ac87u.30029

RMA your router is the only way, welcome to the club. :)

I have a feeling that there are different versions of 87U
It seems the newer ones don't have the same issues as perhaps older ones.
I am not taking sides, its only that I and 2 others that I know of have the same router and these issues I read are not there.
I use most of the features from this router without any issues, I personally would recommend the 87u to anyone.
Although I feel for the people that are having issues with their 87u
ASUS should do something about this because you can't have half the routers fabricated not work properly.
And if anyone mentions the 5ghz and Android battery drain I think I will vomit :p
I keep saying it, who needs 5ghz for a phone!

I still think that redsrums problem is not quite the same as the other problems I have seen from users, this reboot thing is not common.
I have never seen any of my ASUS routers reboot for no reason. It could also be defective power supply, the problems could be many before issuing an RMA.
I would defiantly trouble shoot a little before returning the router.

Thanks for all the replies I ended up RMA my router and the new one has worked perfect ever since! So far anyway, I haven't done anything to it other than upgrade the stock firmware. :)

Those links describing the faults with the 5G and LAN1 were exactly what I was experiencing.

Guess I spoke too soon! I came home today to fine my wifi not working, turned on PC, LAN isnt working either. all lights seem fine on router. I had to reboot it to get it to work.

Looks like my Nest Cam came on around midnight, using 5G wifi, and then about 10 min later the router crashed! Such a pitty!

I might return it to amazon again, either for a refund or another model/brand router. Does anyone have recommendations?

Last edited:
RT-AC68U/P, if you have the money RT-AC88U.

Last edited:
Guess I spoke too soon! I came home today to fine my wifi not working, turned on PC, LAN isnt working either. all lights seem fine on router. I had to reboot it to get it to work.

Looks like my Nest Cam came on around midnight, using 5G wifi, and then about 10 min later the router crashed! Such a pitty!

I might return it to amazon again, either for a refund or another model/brand router. Does anyone have recommendations?
Did they repair the router or send you a brand new one?
Don't get the 68u get an 88u if you are going to get another one. they are 30 bucks more then the 87u

They usually replace it for a new one. 30 bucks? Never in your life, $100 in US and 150€ in EU price difference.

Did they repair the router or send you a brand new one?
Don't get the 68u get an 88u if you are going to get another one. they are 30 bucks more then the 87u

They sent me a brand new one. I only paid £118 for 87u as it was on offer, the 88u is nearly £300! Might have a look at at netgear.

Reactions: thc

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!