What's new

Problem with 2.4GHz-N when running 5Ghz-AC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rainman731

New Around Here
Slow Transfer Rate In Bridge Mode

I recently bought two ASUS RT-AC66U routers for my home network. I have one set up as the main router with the other set up as a bridge that's connected to my home media server. I have tried numerous settings, but seem to be unable to get the 2.4Ghz band to operate properly when I have the 5Ghz band set to run with 80MHz bandwidth.

My fastest transfer rate from the bridge connected media server to a wireless-N laptop 10 feet from the router was a maximum of 9mbps with an average around 7.5mbps. I expected much faster transfer rates, but since the laptop is only wireless-N, are those numbers about right? With the laptop wired to the router, the fastest speed was 30 mbps, with an average around 17.5 mbps. I switched the bridge and router out to see if one would work better than the other as the router, and it first one was slightly better.

Does anybody on here have two of these connected as a Bridge? What kind of transfer rates do you see, both wired to the router and wireless? Could one of the routers be broken? I have now also tried both the official .266 and merlin's .266.23b and merlin's .270.24 seems to be the best firmware I've tried so far. Any suggestions/recommendations/comments/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: