What's new

Problem with new RT-AC56U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ElectroTele

New Around Here
I had a Linksys E4200 on my home network, connected to my modem (Time Warner). All was fine for years and then it kept losing the internet connection. I'd reboot the router and it'd be OK for a bit and then lose it again. I upgraded the firmware, reset the router, it was fine for a few days then it started again. One day it didn't come back. If I connected my computer directly to my modem it was connected to the internet, but the router wouldn't connect to the internet.

Picked up a new RT-AC56U this weekend. It's been great until this morning--no internet connection. I checked the router logs and starting in the middle of the night, I found many of these: "kernel: br0: received packet on eth2 with own address as source address." Some of them say eth1. Not sure if this is related.

I'm wondering also now if the problem is with the router (or the E4200 before) at all. But doesn't it stand to reason that if I connect directly from my modem to the computer and it works fine, that the problem must be the router?

Thanks

1. Connect the AC56 to your modem.
2. Unplug the modem from the electrical outlet for 10 minutes. Then plug modem back in to the electrical outlet.
3. Follow the basic troubleshooting steps in link below. The error in your log is typically harmless and is caused by using the same SSID. If you want the error in the log to go away, then use unique SSIDs.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=12453