What's new

Proper PPPoE Setup on Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anotherengineer

Just curious if it matters how this is setup?

Asus has an FAQ that goes through windows settings.

The other two I have seen are setting it up from a factory default............old pic. This would be for bell fibreop coming out of a Nokia G-240G-A ONT. I honestly don't know why Bell doesn't have instructions on this?!
1722887534879.png

and 2. enabling the pppoe relay through NAT passthrough
1722887635566.png

No need to change anything on the NAT passthrough page. You aren`t running PPPoE from your LAN but from the router.

On the IPTV Page, set ISP type to "Manual", and set the VID to the VLAN tag used by your provider. Many Bell resellers use VLAN 40 - check with your provider what VLAN they use.

PPPoE credentials are configurable on the WAN page.

No need to change anything on the NAT passthrough page. You aren`t running PPPoE from your LAN but from the router.

On the IPTV Page, set ISP type to "Manual", and set the VID to the VLAN tag used by your provider. Many Bell resellers use VLAN 40 - check with your provider what VLAN they use.

Hey RMerlin what does this do exactly? I've got a working connection which is PPPoE bridged from a HG612 I believe BT uses VLAN 101 is it worthwhile for myself to fill this in also?

Sorry AnotherEngineer for piggybacking your thread! :)

Hey RMerlin what does this do exactly? I've got a working connection which is PPPoE bridged from a HG612 I believe BT uses VLAN 101 is it worthwhile for myself to fill this in also?
If the PPPoE authentication is done by the router itself, then you need to check with your ISP if they require a VLAN or not for the Internet connection. Otherwise, the router will be unable to talk with the PPPoE concentrator, and the PPPoE discovery will fail.

Sorry AnotherEngineer for piggybacking your thread! :)
You don't need to enter anything for VLAN on BT FTTC with an HG612. The same goes for using an ONT on a BT FTTP connection when it comes.

Last edited:
Yeah I've got a working connection, with it being in the IPTV section it was more curiosity than anything; I'm trying to set my connection up to rock solid and efficient as possible ☺️

Thank you, Sir!!

In my case Vodafone is using VLAN 836 for IPTV and the Vodafone STB box is connected via wifi to the AX86U.
Do I need to add the VLAN as you described too ?
PPPoE is running on AX86U and the ZTE modem supplied by Vodafone is in bridge mode (VLAN 835).

In my case Vodafone is using VLAN 836 for IPTV and the Vodafone STB box is connected via wifi to the AX86U.
Do I need to add the VLAN as you described too ?
PPPoE is running on AX86U and the ZTE modem supplied by Vodafone is in bridge mode (VLAN 835).
If it works then you don't need to change anything.

Asuswrt's IPTV support only supports VLANs on Ethernet, not on Wifi anyway.

If the PPPoE authentication is done by the router itself, then you need to check with your ISP if they require a VLAN or not for the Internet connection. Otherwise, the router will be unable to talk with the PPPoE concentrator, and the PPPoE discovery will fail.
Hmmm apparently my setup is a bit defferent from Bell, although it is Bell FibreOP offered through NorthernTel. Fibre comes into a Nokia G-240G-A ONT then into an Actiontec R3000.........which says ISP protocol 1483 over DHCP. A buddy says might have to clone MAC address over to Asus router. I guess I will have to do some more reading and circle back.

Well was pretty simple just had to
1. clone actiontec r3000 router mac to AX86u
2. set vlan to 35

Sorry for jumping in on this thread, seems relevant.

My FTTC connection will change shortly as an engineer will visit our property to change it to a FTTP type of connection.

These are the settings I'm told that need to apply...

Broadband username or login name yourusername
@plusdsl.net
Connection type or encapsulation PPPoE Always On
Password The password you use to log in to the My Account

VLAN Active
VLAN ID (802.1q) 101
VLAN ID (802.1p) 0

............it is the VLAN part of the process that is of some concerns to me with my AX88U router running Merlin Firmware. I do not see a VLAN option to apply those settings..?

Thanks

...........it is the VLAN part of the process that is of some concerns to me with my AX88U router running Merlin Firmware. I do not see a VLAN option to apply those settings..?
VLAN settings are on the IPTV page.

You don't need VLAN setting for Plusnet FTTP, just the username as you mentioned and your account password, with PPPoE of course, on the WAN settings page.

Some Plusnet pages still mention VLAN, but they haven't updated them since FTTC years ago.

Thanks to you both. Someone needs to tell PN then as this morning they told me there would be authentication issues unless the VLAN items noted here were applied...

specifically....

fttp.png

I'll just ignore that.

They linked me to that page and to that specific section as shown in the screenshot. Bearing in mind they were linking me to information specific to a FTTP connection.

The FTTP authentication requirements then seem to be the same as my FTTC ones.

Last edited: