What's new

[Q] AC66U's 5 GHZ in repeater mode doesn't work, only 2.4 GHz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KKLD

Occasional Visitor
Let me explain my setup to you guys, and hopefully someone smart and kind will be able to assist me! :)

Modem ------> AC68U <==========> AC66U

---------> = Cable
<====> = 5 GHz wireless

I run two networks, "1336" is 2.4 GHz and "1337" is 5 GHz. My AC68U is set up as a "Wireless Router", and the AC66U is set up in "Repeater Mode". The AC66U repeats the 1337 network.

Devices can roam between them on 1336 just fine, but when on 1337, it is another story. When the device is closest to AC66U, it cannot connect to it, like it's getting rejected for some reason. And when AC68U has best signal, it works just fine! The same thing is happening on ALL my devices.

I'm running the newest Merlin firmware on both of them.

Also have a small question, why do they only connect between eachother with 866,5 Gbit/s, even when I moved them 5 meters away from eachother?

Thanks for reading this! :)

Edit: to clarify, only thing that doesn't work is the repeated 5 GHz network from the AC66U (it connects to AC68U just fine and repeats the signal just fine via LAN and 2.4 GHz)

Last edited:
Ac66 has same ssid on 5ghz band as the ac68. Thus your phone can't tell the difference between two routers. You can install dd-wrt firmware, it gives you an option to make a.virtual WiFi network on ac66 with different ssid.
Also try Enabling Roaming Assistance.

The connection between the two routers is low do to setting in ac68.
Manually set to higher channel and manually set it to 80mhz. N+AC only, no legacy, no beam forming.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!