What's new

Qnap TS-239 for Home use (or come down back to earth)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DoubleL

New Around Here
Let me start of by specifying my needs:
NAS for a home use to store media (music, HD videos, etc) and duplicate data from home PCs. The important data would be backed up offsite to a cloud. So, with this in mind I've been reading reviews and... I think I am over thinking it now -- ignorance is a bliss. I started with the intention of spending around $100 and whatever extra for the drives, but I am not so sure now.

My only hands-on experience with a NAS is an older Buffallo LinkStation Live. It's been very reliable but it's very unfriendly to upgrading the drive, slow, and very limited in features.

In any case, the only thing I am certain about right now is getting a diskless NAS (or at least something that allows for an easy disk replacement). I also would like easy expandability so 2-bays or more would be great.

With this in mind I ended up looking at such exotics as Synology and Qnap. I can get the original Qnap TS-239 Pro for under $350, but I am not sure about investing in an older model. However, on paper it beats even the latest consumer grade models and Qnap continues to release updates for it.

Then it is the question of $$$. While $350 for TS-239 appears to be a great deal (or is it?), perhaps I should step back and go back closer to my original budget with the following candidates:
- Zyxel NSA-221
- Zyxel NSA-330
- LG N2R1D
- Qnap TS-210
- ReadyNAS Duo
- LinkStation Duo (do they even come diskless?)
- Is there anything by WD, Seagate, Iomega worth considering?

From my experience Synology and QNAP are very good brands, though they are a bit expensive. I only have experience with 4 and 5 bay models of these two brands so I'll leave further comment on them to someone else.

Regarding other brands:
ReadyNAS Duo - I have not had good experiences with them

I own an Iomega ix2-200 and have been mostly happy with it, some people have had problems with them so bear that in mind. I have had mine up and running 24x7 for at least 18 months. The web interface does go down about once a month, requiring a reboot to get back. Even though the web interface is down, everything else that I use still works. I generally let it run without the web interface since I do most management on it through a terminal window. I do not know how well the built in backups work since I use an application on my computer to do the file duplication.

One other brand you might consider is DLink. I do not have any personal experience with them, but they are an affordable entry in the diskless NAS catergory.

QNAP and Synology have proved to be reliable vendors with good support for older models. QNAP releases new models so frequently that buying one or two versions back is a good way to trim the otherwise premium price that they ask.

Of the vendors you mention, you might also consider NETGEAR. But again, you're looking at a premium price for newer models.

WD is doing well at the low end (single drive) with aggressive pricing. But you can't get a diskless model. Buffalo also doesn't do diskless.

On balance, if you don't mind spending a bit more, I'd go with a previous generation QNAP or Synology. Be sure you check out their web demos to see if either of the admin GUIs drives you crazy (as NETGEAR's framed interface does to me with the constant scrolling around required.