What's new

QNAP TS-559 Pro II vs Synology DS1512+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chri5tian

New Around Here
Hi,

I ordered TS-559 Pro II earlier today and just saw that Synology has launched DS1512+

TS-559 Pro II: CPU 1,8 GHz,SATA III
DS1512+: CPU 2,14 GHz, SATA II, and claims 194.48 MB/sec Writing and 202.20 MB/sec Reading, which is pretty good.

I haven't found any reviews on the synology yet, but are those speeds realistic? Another question, how far are we from being able to utilize sata III?

I've owned a Synology DS710+ and loved it, but I would like try a QNAP nas but not if the Synology is vastly superior. Would you cancel the order and buy the Synology instead?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
DS1512+: CPU 2,14 GHz, SATA II, and claims 194.48 MB/sec Writing and 202.20 MB/sec Reading, which is pretty good.

That's for link aggregation performance, so half that if you're talking about a home network. If you've got multiple devices slamming the NAS/iSCSI than link aggregation comes into play, but really, you'll need to be in a business atmosphere with lots of servers hitting it or running VMWare/Citrix. Someone check me if I'm wrong here, my link aggregation knowledge is rusty. Ready yourself for a 10Gig switch/NIC system and 10Gig NAS if you really want higher speeds at anything that isn't hitting enterprise levels (nothing for SoHo prices on that).

That being said, I like the DS1512+, seems to be a bit more future proof, though QNAP just released their news on their equivalent NASes:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-news/31704-qnap-announces-cedar-trail-nas-lineup

I'm kind of waffling between the DS1812+ and the DS1512+ but given the expansion bays will probably go for the DS1512+ and an expansion bay if I really need the storage down the road.