What's new

QNAP TS109 II no connection to ASUS RT-AC86U router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

simplesimon

New Around Here
My QNAP TS109 II won't connect to my new ASUS RT-AC86U router.

The router LAN port LED doesn't light, and the router GUI says that the Link State is "Unplugged".

The NAS LAN LED flickers about once every 5 seconds, and the port LED's at the back of the NAS flicker at the same time, which to me, indicates that a handshake is being unsuccessfully attempted.

I have tried different cables and different router LAN ports with no success.

The new router works well with all of my wired and wireless clients except the NAS.

All firmware is stock and up to date.

I can connect to the NAS directly with my PC, and of course, the NAS worked fine with my prior routers.

Any suggestions?

Not sure if I can contribute anything useful, it is an unusual situation. My first thought is regarding media interface compatibility. It seems like a lifetime ago now but we used to have to worry between duplex, full duplex and not leaving settings on auto because you could end up with instabilities. You also absolutely had to make sure you used a crossover cable or straight through, depending on the interface.

So assuming all the cables you are trying are all straight through and not crossover (it wouldn't hurt to try a crossover but I doubt it will help) you may be able to see something outside the web interface refresh interval by using "robocfg show" or showports. You could also try changing the interface parameters to something fixed rather than allowing it to auto negotiate. If it's a gigabit port, fix it at 100fd to test it at a lower speed.

None of this may help though. It's quite possible that there is an issue that the working devices are able to work around but just won't happen in your intended scenario. It does sound like there might be some kind of damage.

Have you done any throughput testing or checked what has been negotiated on the working connections? I wonder if there's other possible hints to an issue somewhere.

It'd be nice if there was some kind of link/connection logging but you probably need a debug kernel to be that granular.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just to clarify, when I say working connections, I mean between the NAS and any other device. If there was any damage I would assume the NAS, not every port on the router.

I won't ask but I assume you are using the latest firmware for the router, which would be the only thing outside of hardware failure that could impact the router.

Oh .. and jumbo frames ... check jumbo frame settings and compatibility at both ends.

I also meant to say good luck! :D

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Dont use a TS-109 II ! It is a 10 years old device that perform worse than the builtin functions of the RT-AC86.
Besides it has not being firmware updated for 4 years so it is huge risk to use such a device.

Ok, thanks for the responses.

I just use the NAS to periodically back up my computers, but yes, I should look at using the new router for this.

The NAS is old tech for sure, and it's probably just a basic incompatibility issue.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!