What's new

Question: About AX4200 regarding SSH support and Entware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for your replies. Does Asuswrt-Merlin have long support for existing older devices? If it's just a few years then I might be better off with OpenWRT and losing all the nice AiProtection, AiMesh features..
Merlin is dropping support for the old "AC" class routers that are already EOL by Asus.

This might work for those old routers but Optware is obsolete. At the end of the day, if you want proper third party software support with asuswrt you need to have a router that supports Merlin.

The one with lower speed is supported by Asuswrt-Merlin.

If you are talking about AX-class numbers - all the router will have approximately identical "speed", limited by your clients' capabilities. What usually works is about 40-80Mbps on 2.4GHz to N client, about 500Mbps on 5GHz to AC client and about 800Mbps on 5GHz to AX client. The rest is testing your luck in DFS channels plus clients with required capabilities. AX3000, AX4200, AX5400, AX6000 - mostly marketing. What matters is CPU and RAM, but all home routers including high-end are RPi-like hardware, nothing is really "powerful". Powerful can be x86 CPU appliance.

all the nice AiProtection, AiMesh features

AiProtection is a 3rd party service from Trend Micro with data sharing requirement including your browsing history, AiMesh is a marketing name for wired APs or wireless Repeaters with Guest Network option. Nothing is Ai there and nothing is truly exclusive to Asus. Trend Micro Service runs on other routers as well (TP-Link calls it Home Care) and there are many OneMesh/EasyMesh (whatever marketing calls it) compatible devices on the market. There are options, some much better. You sound like the perfect Asus marketing target. Whatever they advertise you believe it and open your wallet.

I think I'll return it and just get a lower version so I can install Asuswrt-Merlin.

And you'll make another mistake because the firmware development is moving towards Asuswrt 5.0 and the cheaper supported router is RT-AX86U Pro. All entry-level models in AX3000/AX5400 class will stay on Asuswrt 4.0 and perhaps will have shorter life cycle.