What's new

Question from a non-geek

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dennis Brandt

New Around Here
Please don't inundate me with alphabet soup responses. As far as I know, SSI is either just a misspelling of your female sibling's nickname or has something to do with Social Security.

I have a Netgear WNR2000v2 router I've been using for some time. To it, I have hard-wired connections to an eight-port switch to which are connected two TIVOs, one DVR from Comcast, a Windows 7 computer used as a music server, and a TV. (The DVRs and TV use Internet only rarely, but the TIVOs, DVR, and music server use it all the time.) Wirelessly, I connect two Windows 7 computers, (a third plus two IPODs when the grandkids are here), one Apple computer, a TV, a printer, and an IPAD. I don't have a clue if any of those receive 2.4 or 5 Ghz, although the hard-wired connections are surely straight ethernet. They all work except the wireless Internet randomly drops for a few seconds.

I am looking at the Lynksys AC1200 or AC1900. Can I truly expect faster response if I make that move? Improved response on the IPAD would be a genuine plus because it is now so slow that it is useless in operating my music server via LogMeIn or Splashtop. I looked at Netgear's products, but their quality and support are getting hammered on Internet user reviews. Not so much Linksys.

Thanks ahead of time.

You are moving up from single band -n router to dual band -ac router which is newer with
more horse power. So definitely you'll see improvement but every environment being different
it is not possible to say how much improvement. You will move some devices to 5GHz which is
less crowded using -ac mode. Also you can use some utility like Acrylic to survey your neighborhood WiFi situation to minimize interference.

Last edited:
I am looking at the Lynksys AC1200 or AC1900. Can I truly expect faster response if I make that move? Improved response on the IPAD would be a genuine plus because it is now so slow that it is useless in operating my music server via LogMeIn or Splashtop. I looked at Netgear's products, but their quality and support are getting hammered on Internet user reviews. Not so much Linksys.

If most of your gear is not 11ac, then the only benefit perhaps of going to an AC1200/Ac1900 class router would be the routing performance, and perhaps more stability - you've got quite a few devices on your network, and some of the older routers will start shedding devices after about 16 or so, as they have less memory...

One likely isn't going to see a big improvement in speed or range, but the capacity improvements might make it worthwhile to consider.

I'm going to find out. I just ordered the AC1200 and a matching eight-port switch. Thanks to those who offered some good advice.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!